• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Custom Roll BTL Robusto – Habanos Torres

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
My good friend Jimmy (JimmyHaze) visited a local roller (Habanos Torres) and picked up a number of the custom rolled cigars of which he sent me four: a torpedo BTL, robusto BTL, natural robusto, and lancero pigtail (dark wrapper). Per the roller, the tobacco used to roll these cigars is from 30-year-old leaf, so I’m looking forward to smoking one of these. I decided I’d start with the BTL robusto, which is beautifully constructed with one prominent vein running the length, the light and dark leaves intertwining perfectly together, and a perfectly formed cap. There’s oiliness detectable in both wrappers when held in the light, both quite smooth. The cigar has good weight in the hand, a slight give when squeezed with no soft or hard spots to be found, and with the cap punched with my largest ring, I find a perfect draw with a musty, well aged tobacco taste.

It took very little effort to get the foot burning perfectly, billows of smoke pour from the glowing embers. After a couple of easy puffs on the cigar, I take a very slow, long draw and get an incredibly smooth and very rich smoke over the palate. There’s a perfect light pepper spice over the tongue and on the back of the throat with the creamy smoke a medium to not quite full body. This cigar has one of the easiest draws I’ve ever experienced on a cigar, and I don’t mean it’s loose, but unbelievably effortless, as if it’s almost smoking itself if that makes any sense. I’m having a hard time discerning the flavor profile of this cigar. I think the best way I could describe it is just straightforward, well-aged, really good tobacco. Just that.

The burn is sharp with a silvery gray ash forming with noticeable small tooth throughout. Halfway in and the draw is still spot on with plenty of smoke flowing effortlessly through. Flavors continue to be simply straightforward tobacco with not much by way of a finish left on the palate. Not a rich smoke, but still not too awful bad.

Heading into the final third, the ash falls off to the floor on its own revealing very black filler burning inside with the wrapper a lighter, almost silver gray. The smoke itself is still a good medium body and flowing effortlessly through the perfect draw. Flavors are quite consistent with straightforward tobacco taste, and a good spice tingling the nostrils upon exhaling. I can’t say much for the finish, as there’s not much there, extremely short with not much flavor to note. Towards the end, the smoke unfortunately got rather harsh and bitter, leaving a fairly bad aftertaste on the palate.

This cigar had a very smooth, rather creamy medium-bodied smoke with nice spice, and good burn, however was slightly lacking by way of richness of flavor. Just a good, straightforward tobacco taste that was definitely different. There was simply no finish on the palate to tell of after exhaling, which is one of the key factors to enjoying a good cigar for me. Jimmy, thank you very much kind sir for sending, and I hope to have a better experience with the natural or lancero.

08-21-09CustrollBTL001.jpg

08-21-09CustrollBTL002.jpg

DSC09704.jpg

08-21-09CustrollBTL003.jpg

You are very welcome Greg. I haven't tried the BTL robusto yet, but I am sure your review is dead on. Thanks for an honest review brother. Hope the other cigars smoke a bit better. :)

Thanks for the review, sorry it didn't end perfectly but it still looked like a really good smoke.

What a beautiful looking cigar. Thanks for another great review!

X2 :thumbs:

I like the contrasting cap photo, in fact the 1st grouped photo is worthy of framing.
Very honest review Greg, I'd like to see how the lancero is rolled.

Nice review. It's always fun to try something different. The cigar looks very good, kudos to the roller.