• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Carlos Lancero “Phantom” 2005

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I got chicken simmering, getting ready to make up a big batch of chicken bog for dinner. With some fresh baked scratch biscuits? Mmmm…mmmm! While the chicken’s coooking, I decided to go digging to see what I could find for a good smoke. Ah yes, a 2005 Don Carlos lancero might just do the trick! :D This is one gorgeous cigar with a pale brown Cameroon wrapper that has small veins throughout and noticeable oils. It’s very firm when squeezed, has a solid weight in the hand and with the perfectly constructed pigtail cap punched I find a draw with the perfect amount of resistance.

It doesn’t take any time at all to get the small foot glowing orange and after a couple of good puffs, I take a nice long draw. There’s a small amount of cinnamon spice coming through in the creamy, medium bodied smoke. I get tastes of sweet baked bread, earth, wood, and what seems like hints of nutmeg spice. Oh my gosh is this thing good!

A dullish compact gray ash is forming and holds strong until knocked off about every inch. The draw is perfect, allowing just the right amount of smooth and creamy, medium bodied smoke to flow through. The flavors, oh the flavors are utterly delicious, consistent with how previously described, and a finish that is long and lasting on the palate.

Going into the last half, I can detect what seems like a flavor similar to that of an Opus. All I can say is, this is one fantastic smoke! There’s a depth to it that is just amazing. The burn continues to be sharp, and the ash holds strong with the exception of one spot where it fell on its own. The smoke itself is a good medium to not quite full body, continuing to be smooth and creamy over the tongue with delicious, complex flavors and a finish that is lip smacking good, lasting long after exhaling.

Towards the end, a good bit of tar had built up and luckily none got on my tongue. I finished up the smoke with maybe an inch left as it was getting quite difficult to smoke without getting a bit of tar taste. What an amazing smoke this was with incredible flavors and fantastic, lasting finish. A perfect smoke for a lazy, Saturday afternoon.

06-06-09DCLancero001.jpg

06-06-09DCLancero002.jpg

06-06-09DCLancero003.jpg

DSC05978.jpg

DSC05980.jpg

DSC05983.jpg

DSC05984.jpg

Yet another beauty my dear friend. Thanks so much.

Greg, your reviews are a joy to behold regardless of the stick .......and this one makes me salivate for one of my Phantoms.

These are some amazing smokes. I have smoked a few of them now, but have never had any tar build up with one. Thats kinda odd.
B

Nice review!

Have you considered using a guillotine cutter for your longer smokes? I nearly gagged looking at the tar picture :0

Nice review!

Have you considered using a guillotine cutter for your longer smokes? I nearly gagged looking at the tar picture :0

Oh absolutely. I usually will cut off the tip to get rid of the tar but uh, my Palio was out of reach, and I was just uh...too lazy to get up. :D

grabbed 6 of them last time in LV. Gave all out but one, and loved it. Very good cigar, love the tar on the back also. I tasted honey and earth goodness. This cigar is an A+ in my book.

Looks like an awesome smoke! Thanks for the review Greg!

This is one of my favs as well. Absolutely top quality. Great review, I can see one getting lit in the very near future. :thumbs: