• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Favorite Cutter

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
I know there are a million similar threads, but wanted some updates opinions.

I've been using some Xikar (I think?) scissors forever, and went to cut a cigar the other day and split the cap because they're getting dull, so time for an update. Wondering what everyone is currently using/liking. Have never used a V cut, so am intrigued by those, and have also always liked PUNCHES, but also enjoy just a straight cut too, so am open to whatever.

I like my Palio, cuts clean every time. The only other I've used, was a Xikar, never used a punch or V cutter.

I like both my Palio and my Tear Drop Xikar for straight cuts. I have a couple different size punches for the Padron Anni's. Most of the Corona 64 Anni's have a stem or at least a knot right at the end and when you cut it, it splits the caps so the punch is the way to go. Never tried a V cut.

I have the big three and have owned them for a long time; a Palio, a Xikar and a Wenger Swiss Army Knife equipped with a scissor. The handiest is the Swiss Army which has other useful tools, followed by the Palio. The Xicar has too many moving parts for my liking and is clumsy. They are all equally sharp and if kept clean stay that way. If you know how and have the proper stones they can all be re-sharpened. You'll have to find out for yourself which you prefer. Unfortunately it can be expensive.
I've found that most people have no idea how to cut a cigar. Just because it's called a guillotne doesn't mean you chop the head off. It's more of a circumcision than a beheading.
Doc

Last edited:
I have the big three and have owned them for a long time; a Palio, a Xikar and a Wenger Swiss Army Knife equipped with a scissor. The handiest is the Swiss Army which has other useful tools, followed by the Palio. The Xicar has too many moving parts for my liking and is clumsy. They are all equally sharp and if kept clean stay that way. If you know how and have the proper stones they can all be re-sharpened. You'll have to find out for yourself which you prefer. Unfortunately it can be expensive.
I've found that most people have no idea how to cut a cigar. Just because it's called a guillotne doesn't mean you chop the head off. It's more of a circumcision that a beheading.
Doc
Honestly, use my Old Timer that I keep really sharp to circumsize most of the time. Learned that technique on here from Wilke a looooong time ago, or would have never thought to do it.

First off, I'd be quite surprised if it's actually dull. Get some isopropyl alcohol wipes from the pharmacy next time you're there and clean the blades really well. You may be very surprised how well they work once cleaned of tobacco oils.

An early Palio, a very nice Xikar, and a Xikar punch are the three cutting tools in use around here. I could live with either cutter, and the punch is nice to have, too.

Edited to add: I've got a Colibri and a Xikar v-cutter as well. As I said below, while the Colibri is very well made and sharp as heck, it really takes a chop out of the cigar, too much for my preference. The Xikar is pretty much perfect in that department.

Last edited:
Like Doc have the big three. I've been punching cigars of late, with a cheapie punch that I have had for 10 plus years. I score the the cap and lift the cap off when I use the traditional cutter. Do have a v- cutter that I have down south which isn't a bad cut either. The new Palio's are no where near the old ones. Just got one Saturday at the Quad State Herf and was shocked how flimsy it is compared to my other ones. Like lighters a ton of options out there.

The best cutter I ever had was the $3 Havana Cutter. I still have one with the travel humidor that I use for golfing.

https://www.golfgearbox.com/blogs/news/cigar-cutters-the-different-styles-of-cuts

Xikar for me. I have used a v cut on a few smokes lately and I have enjoyed it. Might buy myself one for Christmas.

Colibri V cutter since it provides a large cut.

Also have a colibri lighter with a cutter attached to the body. Wouldn’t suggest it, cutter isn’t great. Haven’t tried punching yet.

Xikar Xi teardrop cutter that I've had for about 7 years, or so, mainly. I also have a variety of v-cutters, though I don't use them very often.

Colibri V cutter since it provides a large cut.
You know, I bought one of those. I found the cut is so deep it cuts right through the triple cap on lots of smokes, leaving little pieces of tobacco coming loose during the smoke. Don't use it much anymore for that reason.

When it comes to V-cutters, the Xikar is the one I like the best, but I don't use them all that much; 99/100 it's the Xikar teardrop cutter or the Palio.

First off, I'd be quite surprised if it's actually dull. Get some isopropyl alcohol wipes from the pharmacy next time you're there and clean the blades really well. You may be very surprised how well they work once cleaned of tobacco oils./QUOTE]

Thanks Tom, I'll give that a try when I get home. Will probably still buy something new though because I have the itch. Leaning towards Doc's Wenger since sounds like the newer Palios have taken a dip in quality.

I use the Victorinox Swiss Army cigar knife, you can see it here. It punches perfectly, and the scissors is very sharp and precise. For cuts, I use my Xikar scissors, very sharp, and as Tom said when it seems like it is getting dull, I use isopropyl alcohol to clean it.

44A1FFFF-B5B0-4832-A588-191C8B7886EA.jpeg

I use the Victorinox Swiss Army cigar knife, you can see it here. It punches perfectly, and the scissors is very sharp and precise. For cuts, I use my Xikar scissors, very sharp, and as Tom said when it seems like it is getting dull, I use isopropyl alcohol to clean it.

View attachment 22004
Those are the same ones I have. Guess it's time for the iso.

You know, I bought one of those. I found the cut is so deep it cuts right through the triple cap on lots of smokes, leaving little pieces of tobacco coming loose during the smoke. Don't use it much anymore for that reason.

When it comes to V-cutters, the Xikar is the one I like the best, but I don't use them all that much; 99/100 it's the Xikar teardrop cutter or the Palio.
I may try that next, i love the deep V but I do admit there are quite a few cigars I have to 'slobber on' to keep the cap from unraveling completely. At times, even that doesn't keep it from unraveling. Thanks for the advice, putting that on my list.