• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Flex Seal

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
So,I have a humidor project that I want to get started on, and out of the gate I know that the box is not airtight, or i don't trust it to be any way. Also after doing some of the modifications I need to do there will be several holes in it.

Do you guys think it would be OK to seal with flex seal? I know it has a strong smell, so I wold have to let it air out for a while, a good long while, but I also read that it was food safe, but not recommended to come in contact with drinking water.

I would end up putting cedar over it before the project was finished.

Thanks

link to pics
https://www.cigarpass.com/threads/high-end-retail-or-conversion.77586/page-2#post-1253725

T

Wouldn't aquarium or food safe silicone be a better choice of sealant?

not for the area I need to seal......

I need to update some of the pics, I pulled out the divider and stuff inside the fridge, there are brackets and screw holes now, and I am not real sure about that the interior material and construction will hold humidity. The thought process was to create a sealed background environment then add the cedar over top

not for the area I need to seal......

I need to update some of the pics, I pulled out the divider and stuff inside the fridge, there are brackets and screw holes now, and I am not real sure about that the interior material and construction will hold humidity. The thought process was to create a sealed background environment then add the cedar over top

Ok, I think I understand now.
Looking as the MSDS for Flex Seal, not sure I'd go that route to seal/coat the interior.

You've got petroleum asphalt, rubber, petroleum distillates, and hydrogen sulfide in the can.

Fair enough,

I only asked because I saw that it was food safe somewhere

Fair enough,

I only asked because I saw that it was food safe somewhere

Never hurts to ask.
Found this looking to see if it was food safe.
From the highya.com website.
IMG_20180612_104044.jpg

my thoughts are, as long as it is done off-gassing it "might" be OK.

The cigars are going to be in boxes, bins, and shelves, and there will be Spanish cedar lining the fridge as well.

I am, however, still on the fence...

Tim

You could make a small replica and try it with a cigar or two to see what happens before using on the “Production” humidor.

Taking all of this information in, I would be leery of putting it in my build.

I would probably look at pond armor msds sheets or some of the other sealers guys use in plywood aquarium builds.

I think pure silicone sealant is your best bet. Once it's cured, it's neutral. Smells bad while it's curing, but after that period you're good to go.

I think pure silicone sealant is your best bet. Once it's cured, it's neutral. Smells bad while it's curing, but after that period you're good to go.
to much area to use, unless there is one I can paint on

to much area to use, unless there is one I can paint on
Depends. Guess I'm not understanding you conditions? You could spread it like putty with a putty knife. Larger holes, you could use it like glue with some kind of patching material.

i have the whole inside of the fridge i need to apply a coating too, so that it will hold humidity, and be protected from the moist conditions

edit cuz my Chromebook is dumb

i have the whole inside of the fridge i need to apply a coating too, so that it will hold humidity, and be protected from the moist conditions

edit cuz my Chromebook is dumb
Yup, sorry I missed that!

Personally, I would use food grade silicone, but that's just me.

MX, if you look at the complete site they have a number of products might solve your issue.