• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fonseca Cosacos

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s been a gorgeous day with clear blue sky and temps getting close to 60F. I had to go help my Dad put a lower transmission cooling line on his Caddy, and let me tell you that was a lot of fun. My neck and arms are give out working from the creeper. Finally back home and am now ready to enjoy the Fonseca Cosacos received in a recent PIF. The cigar is wrapped with what once was white tissue, however is now tainted yellow from age, not sure how much. Removing the tissue, I find the cigar has a golden brown wrapper with prominent veins and a slight oiliness. It’s firm with a good weight in the hand, and after punching the cap, I find the draw has a little more resistance than I like, but air is still flowing through well enough with a sweet tobacco taste.

I have the foot burning in no time and taking a few puffs brings a nice amount of white smoke. It starts off with a very mild strength and not much at all by way of spice, however the flavors are quite rich tasting of toasted nuts and a hint of vanilla. There’s a nice, clean finish left on the palate.

A third in and the burn is sharp with a medium gray ash forming in perfect layers, holding strong until tapped off. The mild strength turns to a medium with a nice spice now coming through, hitting the throat just right. The smoke is smooth on the palate with delicious flavors that are rich, thoroughly enjoying the fullness in the body. There’s a lasting finish as I exhale slowly.

Halfway and the cigar wants to go out on me, so I purge and in no time smoke is pouring from the burning foot. Exhaling slowly through the nose, I get a perfect tingling in the nostrils. Flavors continue to be rich and delicious tasting of toasted nut, vanilla, and a light woodiness. There’s a lasting finish left on the palate.

The rest of the cigar performed perfectly with sharp burn, perfect draw, rich flavors and lasting finish. It continued to have a good medium strength in the smoke with nice spice hitting the back of the throat. It’s been a long while since I’ve had a Fonseca, probably a couple years, however this one reminds me how much I really enjoy them. A most enjoyable smoke!

11-27-09FonsecaCosacos00101640x480.jpg

11-27-09FonsecaCosacos00202640x480.jpg

11-27-09FonsecaCosacos00303640x480.jpg

11-27-09FonsecaCosacos00404640x480.jpg

I don't think the Fonseca's get the respect they deserve. For the price (as well as the JLP's), they are hard to beat. Straightforward tastiness with a great price, again, always gets my vote. :thumbs:

Derek

*edit to add: I love the green sun-spots on my cigars!!!!!!

Right on Greg! You nailed another one. I have some mid '07s that are pretty darn good...actually, now that I think about it, they were better a year ago than they are today!

As 3D and Derek said, great cigar for the money....like a JLP.

Thanks for the review. Fonsecas are great mild smokes. I often smoke them while doing yard work, etc... Really like the No. 1.

Just picked up two boxes from 01 in a sale, curious to see how they perform as I have never had a Fonseco before.

Bart

I agree, Fonsecas are one of the most under rated cigars coming out of Havana. I love this marca, and I always find the flavors very clean and straightforward. Consistant.

I the stash I just got from ISOM, there is indeed a Fonsecas. With this glow review, it may make it to the offering alter in short order. GreatReview.

Right on with your description Greg. I smoked a 98 a few days back and it was very good... like most cc, with some decent age, they are great smokes.