• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fruits of Castro's Soil Pass No.1

Charley said:
Take: #35 RA Allones Extra EL 2011
Put: H. Upmann Mag 50 EL 2005
Discuss.

Charley way too generous brother. This one is my only concern. 6 year difference on a EL is going to be tough to keep replacing down the line. RA EL still readilly available and the Upmanns not some much so. Limited availability but a bit pricey.
If this is too far off then maybe I can change it. Or.......we can go with Sids suggestion. Whatever the group is more comfortable with.

I'd like to see what others think about this one. I'm kinda on the fence between Bill and Kris.

Tall Paul said:

Discuss.

Charley way too generous brother. This one is my only concern. 6 year difference on a EL is going to be tough to keep replacing down the line. RA EL still readilly available and the Upmanns not some much so. Limited availability but a bit pricey.
If this is too far off then maybe I can change it. Or.......we can go with Sids suggestion. Whatever the group is more comfortable with.

I'd like to see what others think about this one. I'm kinda on the fence between Bill and Kris.

My take on it...

The whole concept of a Pass is 'equal for equal' but different. We just can't bomb the crap out of the Pass and in turn make some cigars unapproachable to those down stream. This by far the #1 edict to a cigar pass and we should not break this basic covenant of fairness. While I appreciate the comments of CigSid, those sentiments are better left to an individual bomb to a fellow B/SOTL...and God knows he knows bombing! :p  

We need...no, MUST...keep the basic rules of a cigar pass in effect at all times and not try to deviate from these most simple principles. As in parenting, it's so easy to say YES...and very difficult to say NO. Saying NO means more work...but isn't this what a Cigar Pass is all about? Pricing out sticks, learning their values based on availability, and trying to set a baseline of rarity factors?

In most cigar passes, the debate is usually about how much of a gap in pricing is allowed between P&Ts. Brian (Jonesy) would run newbie passes and would insist on no more than a $0.25 to $0.50 maximum difference between P&Ts. Now think about it, if everyone increased their PUT by $0,50 per cigar...12 guys down stream that cigar would cost a brother $6.00 more to replace....so a $5.00 cigar is now an $11.00 cigar. So, based on the opening lineup (values) of cigars that originally enticed a member to join the Pass in the first place, is no longer the case when it finally arrives at his house. 

Remember, every cigar has to be priced out to at least 3 online vendors to establish it's average price. This is a somewhat easier task with NC cigars. The issue with CC is that you have the full blown retail vendors and the tax free zone vendors...and the guys in between. Here in lies the game...what handful of vendors should be used to create the average price per cigar? Maybe that's a call for the Pass Host to make. 

While this is Paul's Pass, it's his to do as he pleases...but remember, like in Life itself...there are some basic rules to be followed.  :thumbs:

YMMV...

ironpeddler said:
My take on it...

The whole concept of a Pass is 'equal for equal' but different. We just can't bomb the crap out of the Pass and in turn make some cigars unapproachable to those down stream. This by far the #1 edict to a cigar pass and we should not break this basic covenant of fairness. While I appreciate the comments of CigSid, those sentiments are better left to an individual bomb to a fellow B/SOTL...and God knows he knows bombing! :p  

We need...no, MUST...keep the basic rules of a cigar pass in effect at all times and not try to deviate from these most simple principles. As in parenting, it's so easy to say YES...and very difficult to say NO. Saying NO means more work...but isn't this what a Cigar Pass is all about? Pricing out sticks, learning their values based on availability, and trying to set a baseline of rarity factors?

In most cigar passes, the debate is usually about how much of a gap in pricing is allowed between P&Ts. Brian (Jonesy) would run newbie passes and would insist on no more than a $0.25 to $0.50 maximum difference between P&Ts. Now think about it, if everyone increased their PUT by $0,50 per cigar...12 guys down stream that cigar would cost a brother $6.00 more to replace....so a $5.00 cigar is now an $11.00 cigar. So, based on the opening lineup (values) of cigars that originally enticed a member to join the Pass in the first place, is no longer the case when it finally arrives at his house. 

Remember, every cigar has to be priced out to at least 3 online vendors to establish it's average price. This is a somewhat easier task with NC cigars. The issue with CC is that you have the full blown retail vendors and the tax free zone vendors...and the guys in between. Here in lies the game...what handful of vendors should be used to create the average price per cigar? Maybe that's a call for the Pass Host to make. 

While this is Paul's Pass, it's his to do as he pleases...but remember, like in Life itself...there are some basic rules to be followed.  :thumbs:

YMMV...

That's a great idea.

Charley said:

Discuss.

Just to far off in an over put Charley like Kris descried. Try and find something closer.

Thanks Brother

whylieineedacigar said:

My take on it...

YMMV...

That's a great idea.

The big problem there is that with CC's not every retailer has the same stock especially when it comes to EL and RE so you would not come up with an average on most sticks. I did not set a over/under put value because in my experience with other passes it took away from the fun of a pass. I selected the group for this pass in hopes everyone will be fair to the others down the line as much as they can. The pass will increase in value all due as they travel down the line it is what it is. I don't want guys going crazy trying to find a value on a single cigar taking away from the fun of the pass. 

Tall Paul said:

My take on it...

YMMV...

That's a great idea.

The big problem there is that with CC's not every retailer has the same stock especially when it comes to EL and RE so you would not come up with an average on most sticks. I did not set a over/under put value because in my experience with other passes it took away from the fun of a pass. I selected the group for this pass in hopes everyone will be fair to the others down the line as much as they can. The pass will increase in value all due as they travel down the line it is what it is. I don't want guys going crazy trying to find a value on a single cigar taking away from the fun of the pass. 

I don't have a problem with this, so long as the reverse is accepted as well.  Meaning if we grant some leeway on going over, I would hope the same would be accepted when going slightly under.  If this occurs, then all in all, the pass should remain balanced over time.  Obviously I'm not speaking in terms of large differences or in cases where someone would be taking advantage of the ability to be under value on a P/T.  I don't think it works to only accept overage, because whomever gets the pass last may not have the ability to participate at that point, where as the initial lineup was feasible to play with.

Brickhouse said:

My take on it...

YMMV...

That's a great idea.

I don't have a problem with this, so long as the reverse is accepted as well.  Meaning if we grant some leeway on going over, I would hope the same would be accepted when going slightly under.  If this occurs, then all in all, the pass should remain balanced over time.  Obviously I'm not speaking in terms of large differences or in cases where someone would be taking advantage of the ability to be under value on a P/T.  I don't think it works to only accept overage, because whomever gets the pass last may not have the ability to participate at that point, where as the initial lineup was feasible to play with.

Over and under will be handled the same way with no issues.

ironpeddler said:
Nice job guys. :thumbs:

Equality each way. 
Couldn't agree more!  This was a great read as I am now caught up!  Nice work fellas!

Tall Paul said:

Over and under will be handled the same way with no issues.

Is that similar to the reach around from the back?

Handled with no issues!

Gary makes an excellent point. I should have given this a little more thought. It would throw things out of wack. So..........how about.............this instead:

Put: Monte Grand Edmundo EL 2010

That makes three of us. Thanks Charley for playing Ill update the list.

Paul

Charley said:
Gary makes an excellent point. I should have given this a little more thought. It would throw things out of wack. So..........how about.............this instead:

Put: Monte Grand Edmundo EL 2010

That's much better...the Monte is anywhere's from $3 - $6 lower than the RA. 

Brickhouse said:

I don't think it works to only accept overage, because whomever gets the pass last may not have the ability to participate at that point, where as the initial lineup was feasible to play with.

Thanks for looking out for me Wyatt and very well said Gary.  :thumbs:

Ok........I guess we are ready to go. Cigarsid, let me know if you are ready and I'll get this on it's way.

Due to the large discrepancy in pricing from vendor to vendor; averaging prices from three sites is not going to work without all of us using the same sites. IMHO.

I have not received the pass yet, but I thought I would be pro-active and post a preliminary list, let me know what you think:

5. Bolivar Gold Medal LRE OCT 09 / La Escepcion Selectos Finos RE 11
9. Bolivar Simones RE Canada 08 / Por Larranaga Belicosos Extra RE 08
15. H. Upmann Magnum 48 EL 2009 / Bolivar Petit Belicosos LE 2009
23. Punch Punch 07 / Cohiba Genios 2010
36. Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos RE 09 / SLR Pacifico RE 09