• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Garden Thread

I also do a raised bed but mine is no where near as nice looking and doesn't have to be since nobody can see it unless you are already in the back yard. Mine is 10' x 30' with a single height of 2x10. It will have to be rebuilt next year since the pressure has pushed out the tops even with supports every 5 feet. I need to dig the supports in deeper and next time I'll go 2' deep instead of one since they got pushed out too.

I also do a raised bed but mine is no where near as nice looking and doesn't have to be since nobody can see it unless you are already in the back yard. Mine is 10' x 30' with a single height of 2x10. It will have to be rebuilt next year since the pressure has pushed out the tops even with supports every 5 feet. I need to dig the supports in deeper and next time I'll go 2' deep instead of one since they got pushed out too.

What are you growing?

Potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers,habaneros, string beans, lettuce, onions, squash, carrots, beets, cucumbers and whatever else I feel like.

Thanks for the compliment. I made mine a little nicer than I wanted to, but because my house sits on a corner lot-I figured I should. The one street is a short dead end, but we get a lot of "walkers" in our neighborhood so I tried to make it look somewhat descent.

Thats a big raised bed ! What are you using for supports?

I wish I had the yard space to do more but I have a lot of trees in the backyard and my property layout is unusual and prohibits me from more gardening... I got clever and started to go vertical with my lettuce to free up more space in the beds. Worked out pretty well...
gallery_13416_1483_53682.jpg

Is that yours? I've got about 10x14 space and it's pretty packed. I'm thinking about going vertical as well and have seen that before.

Is that yours? I've got about 10x14 space and it's pretty packed. I'm thinking about going vertical as well and have seen that before.

Yes, it's mine.... made it last year. Worked out well, however I may allow a little more spacing this year. Just put it together with some "extras" around the garage.

Is the tilt for extra water to drain out?

Yes... I put end-caps on the ends, and filled the end toward the bottom of the slope with a hand full of pea-stone. I also cut a slit at the bottom of the end cap to allow run-off water to drain properly. At the 'higher' end of the slope, my ole' lady planted flowers that drooped down to help 'fill the space'. Having them up like that helped with the damn rabbits too !

I think that design was the "inner child" coming out. Reminds me of something from the board game "MouseTrap". :laugh:

Well, off to a good start... only a few seeds didn't germinate (lazy b'stards), but Im very pleased with the progress thus far.
*5/6 of the Bhut Jolokias seeds I originally had have made it. I still have another tray that was started a week later with more
Ghost Peppers,Eggplant, and a huge amount of Lavender that the Mrs and I are going to incorporate to our new landscaping overhaul this year.

Here is just a couple pics of what has already popped: (Bhut Jolokias, Cherry Hots, Habanero Mix,Cali-Wonder,Japs) -Garlic in the raised bed
gallery_13416_1483_36650.jpg
gallery_13416_1483_33563.jpg

gallery_13416_1483_97130.jpg

We just started our garden yesterday. I started out with two big boy tomato plants, carrots, green beans, and peas. Still trying to figure out what else I want to plant though. I have a 4x10x12 raised box, so I have a lot of room left to plant.

Thinking about doing some herbs (Thai and Italian Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Garlic), a few peppers, and maybe some lettuce. Next year I will be going bigger, as I am going to construct a set of "rain gutter" boxes for my herbs and lettuce. That will give me a lot more room for more peppers and other things.

My 4 year old twin boys had a great time digging in the dirt to plant the tomatoes and seeds.

How's everyones garden doing ? I just pulled half of my Transylvanian Garlic the other day and it was looking great. Left about ten in for another couple weeks just to see how it does...first time with this strain. My peas are producing as well as my tomatoes. Leaf -lettuce has been great and my pepper ans egg plants are strong and showing flowers. Going to be a good year!
gallery_13416_1483_101950.jpg

gallery_13416_1483_4921.jpg
gallery_13416_1483_24923.jpg

My wife is having a hard time with her's. She's fighting off these massive 2-inch slugs we have crawling around here that seem to eat anything. And snails, or escargo as I like to think of them. She's kind of gotten those under control with beer traps and some other repellant stuff on the ground, but now it's the birds getting into the garden. At least the tomatoes and garlic are doing well. We're going out of town for a week later on, though, so I'm afraid of what it's going to look like when we get back. :/

If you fellas don't mind I would like to put in my 2c, If you have or know somebody who has a Abattoir nearby then I suggest you go in and try to get your hands on some meatmeal, its whats left over from the animal carcasses, cooked and then mulched and looks like powder ( it's used in animal feed ) your plants will love you for it and they grow super fast and really big ( steroids for plants ) I have used it many times and the results are amazing.

Here's just a quick pic of what I harvested today... I need to pick up mason jars tom. so that I can do some pickled peppers.
Still no Ghost peppers but they take a while I know, and they were 'shocked' pretty bad by the deer in the early season? I will keep my fingers crossed. Anyone else been harvesting anything? Pics ?

gallery_13416_1483_12331.jpg

That is very nice! I have a raised bed (not near as nice as yours) that did a great job when I used it in the past. It has been a couple of years since I have grown anything.

Seeing your set-up and success is motivating! Now I can't wait for spring!

I just started growing Habanero's and Serrano's. So far they're doing great, and I already have some Habanero's sprouting up. :)

A lot has changed since this thread started….including a number of 'moves'. However, I have been busy with the home front and thought I would revive this thread and do some updates with pictures of my current garden (if I can remember how to upload them). For now I will just give you a run down of what has become of the last 2yrs.

I currently have (5) raised garden beds about 8'x4'x16". I currently have (1) designated for my garlic. I have planted over 100 heads of garlic that were planted in the fall and will be harvested this summer. The strain I decided to go with is one that I planted the year before. It is a beautiful medium sized bulb with purple streaks of color. The strain originated in Vietnam back in the 80s I believe and is called "Deerfield Purple". I really enjoyed the flavor and it did so well that I decided to go strictly with one strain this year (2nd generation). One can never have enough garlic.
The other beds (as of last year) were home to a number of veggies: Swiss Chard, Red Onion, Eggplant, a variety of peppers, Celery, Broccoli, & many varieties of lettuce. I also have two tee-pees build from tall branches that were home to sugar snap peas. A 1/4 barrel filled with Asparagus root. I planted tomatoes as well, and watermelon. There was also a large 'squash patch' with (9) large mounds; Butternut, Zucchini, Summer, Patty Pan, Buttercup, and others. Then (because that wasn't enough), I planted potatoes in 8 burlap sacs. It was a good harvest to say the least. However, the aphids did a number on my pepper plants and I couldn't shake them. I wasn't able to harvest as many peppers as I would have liked but such is gardening. I will try to figure out the posting of pics again and show a few of the layout.
Spring is right around the corner which means it's almost time to start the seeds! I cannot wait to get my hands back in the dirt this year. Vegetables I would like to add this year would be Sweet Potatoes, and Corn. I have never grown either so it should be a fun learning experience.
full

E.T.A: a photo

Last edited:
A lot has changed since this thread started….including a number of 'moves'. However, I have been busy with the home front and thought I would revive this thread and do some updates with pictures of my current garden (if I can remember how to upload them). For now I will just give you a run down of what has become of the last 2yrs.

I currently have (5) raised garden beds about 8'x4'x16". I currently have (1) designated for my garlic. I have planted over 100 heads of garlic that were planted in the fall and will be harvested this summer. The strain I decided to go with is one that I planted the year before. It is a beautiful medium sized bulb with purple streaks of color. The strain originated in Vietnam back in the 80s I believe and is called "Deerfield Purple". I really enjoyed the flavor and it did so well that I decided to go strictly with one strain this year (2nd generation). One can never have enough garlic.
The other beds (as of last year) were home to a number of veggies: Swiss Chard, Red Onion, Eggplant, a variety of peppers, Celery, Broccoli, & many varieties of lettuce. I also have two tee-pees build from tall branches that were home to sugar snap peas. A 1/4 barrel filled with Asparagus root. I planted tomatoes as well, and watermelon. There was also a large 'squash patch' with (9) large mounds; Butternut, Zucchini, Summer, Patty Pan, Buttercup, and others. Then (because that wasn't enough), I planted potatoes in 8 burlap sacs. It was a good harvest to say the least. However, the aphids did a number on my pepper plants and I couldn't shake them. I wasn't able to harvest as many peppers as I would have liked but such is gardening. I will try to figure out the posting of pics again and show a few of the layout.
Spring is right around the corner which means it's almost time to start the seeds! I cannot wait to get my hands back in the dirt this year. Vegetables I would like to add this year would be Sweet Potatoes, and Corn. I have never grown either so it should be a fun learning experience.
full

E.T.A: a photo

That looks great! Do you start the seeds indoors? Which zone are you in? I'm from NY as well and my zone is 6b.