• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Good bourbon whiskey?

Everyday bourbon? Hell even I don't drink every day but the best buy in bourbon is the Evan Williams 1783. I get it for $22 for a 1.75 and do everything from sipping to cooking with it.

This is a great thread. Whats the difference between Pappy Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace? It appears from my reading that the Pappy Van Winkle is made at the same place as the Van Winkle. I assume they are different, either better or worse??

I love Basil Hayden. That's fancy drinkin' for myself. The Evan William's Single was a nice drink for a great price.

This is a great thread. Whats the difference between Pappy Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace? It appears from my reading that the Pappy Van Winkle is made at the same place as the Van Winkle. I assume they are different, either better or worse??
Different recipe, different rack house, different barrel rotation plan, different years of aging.....and PVW or any of the Rip Van Winkle lines are far superior to BT...

gottcha thanks just curious, I am a beam and jack guy with some knob creek mixed in, the fancier stuff is new to me.

Other every day bourbons to look for are:

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year if you can find it
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year (107) if you can find it
Four Roses Single Barrell is one of my go to's
Corner Creek (very reasonable)
Black Maple Hill
Johnny Drum
Old Bardstown Estate Bottled is fun.

Old Maple Hill
Johnny Drum

Very nice thank you very much, I'll give a few of those a try. I tried the Four Roses Single Barrell and it wasn't my favorite but the others are now added to my wife's shopping list"

Old Maple Hill
Johnny Drum

Very nice thank you very much, I'll give a few of those a try. I tried the Four Roses Single Barrell and it wasn't my favorite but the others are now added to my wife's shopping list"
I was not a fan of the Four Roses Single Barrel when I had it, either. Keep trying other kinds, though, and you're sure to find something you like.

Woodford is a go to, but I've been enjoying Four Roses Small Batch quite a bit. Makes me curious about the Single Barrel though.

Greenore (Irish "bourbon")

I was lucky enough to try some Greenore 15, something they have discontinued. A rep for Cooley did a cigar pairing with a bunch of their stuff at my local, and was kind enough to bring the discontinued bottle along. Man, that was incredible.

I don't know if I am going to get shot for this but I had some Makers Mark 46 and it was pretty good. Anyone else?? :whistling:

No shots from me. Makers 46 is damn good IMO.

I was a Makers guy for years, and like the new 46. Unfortunately its getting dusty amid the other bottles I've grown newly fond of. Might have to take it out this weekend and do some sampling.

four roses, markers, and buffalo are great! As many have said you can't go wrong with any bourbons.

Woodford is a go to, but I've been enjoying Four Roses Small Batch quite a bit. Makes me curious about the Single Barrel though.

I like the Small Batch a LOT better than the Single Barrel, myself. YMMV.

~Boar

That's the fun thing about Small Batch versus Single Barrel. Single Barrel will taste different from batch to batch because there is not blending involved once the barrel is empty that's it, this can present some interesting complexity and variation from bottle to bottle. I have had bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel that I didn't "like" (actually I like all Bourbons some just provide for different experiences) but I have had many more that were good experiences. Small Batch is Blended from many barrels to create a consistent experience from bottle to bottle, requiring the expert taste of the Master Distiller to ensure it is the same.

Everyday bourbon? Hell even I don't drink every day but the best buy in bourbon is the Evan Williams 1783. I get it for $22 for a 1.75 and do everything from sipping to cooking with it.

Is that the regular EV 1783? I noticed there was a small batch version as well?

I like the Small Batch a LOT better than the Single Barrel, myself. YMMV.

~Boar

That's the fun thing about Small Batch versus Single Barrel. Single Barrel will taste different from batch to batch because there is not blending involved once the barrel is empty that's it, this can present some interesting complexity and variation from bottle to bottle. I have had bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel that I didn't "like" (actually I like all Bourbons some just provide for different experiences) but I have had many more that were good experiences. Small Batch is Blended from many barrels to create a consistent experience from bottle to bottle, requiring the expert taste of the Master Distiller to ensure it is the same.

Good to know. Still curious, but now I know there will be chances for variance.