• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Graycliff Crystal Elegante

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Rummaging through the good ‘ol desktop, I pulled out a very nice Graycliff Crystal Elegante I was gifted by Alan (Atuck) several months ago. I’ve never smoked one of these “Pearl Labels” before and was really looking forward to seeing how it smoked. I usually do a good bit of research on a cigar prior to lighting it up, however I went ahead and fired this baby up, planning to do the research while smoking. Of course, if I had done the research first, I would’ve known to have eaten a little something before putting fire to it. Whew!

Here’s what I pulled off the Graycliff site regarding the Crystal:

“The Graycliff Crystal brings together an Ecuadorian sungrown wrapper and a blend of Nicaraguan, Dominican and Brazilian tobaccos. A leaf of Grecian adds an unusual spice.”

This cigar was beautifully constructed with a medium to dark brown wrapper that was somewhat coarse with one prominent vein running the length. It was very firm with a solid weight in the hand and a nice pigtail cap that once punched, revealed a perfect draw.

It didn’t take much to get the foot burning well, and with a few puffs smoke was flowing effortlessly. First draw was a good, but strong, black pepper spice on the tongue and back of the throat. From the get go, the smoke was full bodied with tastes of earth, wood, and what seemed like a vegetable flavor. Hints of cocoa and roasted nuts came through as well. I could actually taste both the Dominican and Nicaraguan tobacco, not sure of the Brazilian, but the sweet Ecuadorian wrapper with huge spice came through as the dominant taste. The description from the site was quite accurate as well as there was definitely an unusual spiciness; unusual yes, but also very good.

The burn was very sharp with a strong, medium to light gray ash forming. There was definitely power in this smoke and the draw was a perfect fit for it, pulling through just the right amount of full bodied smoke. I found there was a more profound richness in taste at the halfway mark, revealing quite complex flavors that were downright fantastic. The finish was very good, however only semi-lasting on the palate.

I wouldn’t have thought this cigar could’ve gotten any stronger, however the final third was kicking arse! And, I was enjoying it thoroughly! This was a very good smoke with a perfect burn and draw, deliciously complex flavors, and a very nice finish on the palate. Thanks Alan for the opportunity!

05-07-09GraycliffCrystalEle001.jpg

05-07-09GraycliffCrystalEle002.jpg

05-07-09GraycliffCrystalEle003.jpg

05-07-09GraycliffCrystalEle004.jpg

05-07-09GraycliffCrystalEle005.jpg

Nice review, Greg. I've never even heard of this though admittedly, I don't really pay much attention to Graycliff cigars.

Another nice review Greg. The stick is appropriately named, it sure looks elegant. Love the picture of Jess.

Nice review Greg. After enjoying a Chateau Gran Cru I plucked from a pass last year, I had been wanting to try something from the Crystal line. When the PGX Toro came up in the Jumbalaya last week I had to jump on it. Only regret is that I didn't get more. :( I enjoyed this cigar very much. These, the CGC's and the Double Espresso are the shiznit!

These, the CGC's and the Double Espresso are the shiznit!
x2 on the Double Espresso's ... I acquired some a while back and wow, the only way I can describe this powerhouse is C4 in a stick, the taste and profile reminds me of the CAO MX3, another fav of mine!

Nick

I once tried a Graycliff 1666 that had been in my humidor for 8 months. Wow is what I could remember, smoke so smooth I could blow it through my nose with no cough or burn. I recent bought a flight sampler by them and let them rest for about a week. Smoked one and tried to blow it through my nose, burned so bad. LOL The wonders of an aged cigar. :)