• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Mag 48 EL 2009

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
So I crawl up in the attic and bring all the Christmas stuff down, then get told afterwards that I’m putting the tree up today (with a little girl in the background squealing for joy). So, I’m tired. :laugh: I really wasn’t expecting to put this tree up today, which is huge by the way. But, it’s up, so now I won’t have to do it next weekend. I told the wife that we’ll have to put the lights on it later as I was coming out to smoke a cigar, which is going to be an H. Upmann Mag 48 EL 2009.

I hadn’t realized this was such a small cigar when looking at them online, however holding it in my hand it seems very small. Seems a good many new cigars are this size, which is actually great as I tend to smoke shorter cigars, however the price should reflect the size IMO. The wrapper is a medium colored brown that’s slightly blotchy with the tobacco underneath causing the cigar to look lumpy. It’s firm when squeezed with the exception of a very soft spot running the length of the cigar directly in the front. I punch the cap and find a perfect draw with fresh tobacco taste.

After lighting the foot and taking a number of puffs to get the cigar settled in good, I take a long draw and get a rather mild to almost medium spice on the throat with the smoke a good medium strength. I’m getting a very clean, almost soapy taste from the cigar at first, only way I know how to describe it. Not very H. Upmanny like at all. There is a slight richness to the smoke as well, however I can definitely tell this is very fresh tobacco.

A third in and the cigar is burning very sharp with a strong, dark gray ash forming in compact layers. The smoke is a good medium strength and flowing well through the perfect draw. Flavors are really good, that of wood and a bit of roasted nut, however am still getting that somewhat soapy taste with a flowery undertone. This cigar is reminding me very much of a VR Famosos. The finish has that very clean taste to it and is short on the palate.

The last half of this cigar was pretty much spot on with the first half other than the spice may have mellowed slightly. Sharp burn, perfect draw, and same flavors as previously described with a clean finish that became much more lasting towards the end. I have to say this was different than any other H. Upmann cigar I’ve ever smoked and again, reminded me a great deal of a VR Famosos with only a slight variance in the finish. Overall a really good smoke.

11-21-09HUpmannMag48EL001.jpg

11-21-09HUpmannMag48EL002.jpg

DSC03549.jpg

Nice review Greg.

I feel as you do about the price...for me, when they drop to about $175 for the box, I'll pull the trigger. All of this years ELs were small and pricey.

I'm still amazed that Pete Johnson gets what he gets for his little cigars too. While they are a nice cigar, they are over before you know it...and at 9 bucks a stick!...and the Mag 48 can be had at 8 bucks a stick.

Fantastic brother! As much as it seems to be almost famoso like, maybe I will just stick to those and save a few pesos! :) LOL. Who am I kidding... Will have to pick up a box. :)

Don

Thanks for the review Greg. This is going to be my Black friday smoke after I put up the tree (I hate 12ft trees!)

Great review Greg. This is one I've been really curious about since its release. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Would you buy a box of these, or a box of Padrons' or Fuente instead?

Its not even Thanksgiving and the tree is up??? :p

Sounds like a good way to end the evening. I've been staying away from the ELs, mostly b/c of just how small they are. Thanks for the review, Greg!

Fantastic brother! As much as it seems to be almost famoso like, maybe I will just stick to those and save a few pesos! :) LOL. Who am I kidding... Will have to pick up a box. :)

Don

Holy cow, they all come out of the woodwork around the Holidays. :laugh: How have you been Don? Good to see you.

Greg, another great review. Love the picture of you and the girl, what a cutie.

Thanks for the review Greg, yes for the price there is something missing!

These match up size wise to the Hoyos, which for the price are a worthy substitute.

Awsome review as always Greg! :thumbs:

I am just going to second the opinion of others on this thread at the price point, there are still other smokes to be had. Maybe when the price drops I will try a few.

Great picture by the way, your little one is a beauty. :thumbs:

I had this cigar yesterday and oh lord, I burned it down to less than a 1/4 of an inch, it was freaking fantastic!!!