• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Magnum 50 EL 2005

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I was gifted this smoke a little while back (thanks ccsmoker), and figured today was as good a day as any to fire it up. The EL wrapper was a medium brown (rosado really) and looked of old leather. It was quite oily in the sunlight and had a slight sponginess to it when squeezed. The pre-light draw was perfect with sweet tastes of delicious, rich tobacco.

I toasted the foot and first draw was absolutely amazing. Strong, roasted nuts and a rich, dark chocolate rolled over my palate. Very rich tobacco, smooth and delicious. Second draw was full of the same and with notes of dark earth and coffee. I noticed a slight run forming, and the ash looked a little strange. Usually, with each draw the ash forms a single thin layer, however this had quite a large layer as if it were two draws in one. A few more draws in and the cigar began to run even more instead of righting itself. I was having a fairly difficult time getting smoke out as well, however when I did get a good draw it was absolute heaven!

The cigar continued to have serious burn issues, and I had to touch it up continuously. I wondered if the wrapper, which looked to be rather thick, was maybe causing some of the problem. The ash fell at about a third in and revealed a gaping hole, which I feel had some to do with not getting much smoke to come out. I kept hoping that it was just at that point, however the burn issues lasted the entire smoke. What a shame as this had to be one of the most delicious smokes I’ve had to date, when it was burning good. I’m not sure if these are still available anywhere, but I need to get more to try! :D

HUpmannMag50EL05001.jpg

HUpmannMag50EL05002.jpg

HUpmannMag50EL05003.jpg

HUpmannMag50EL05004.jpg

No. They aren't available anymore...go away! :D

Very nice review...and a great smoke.

:thumbs:

Nice review Greg. Sorry this cigar had burn issues. I hate when that happens. At their best these are the one of the best recent Upmanns out there IMO.

Bob

Can't wait to smoke me one of them babies right there!!!

Excellent post!

It looks so delicious! Too bad it has burn issues.
Nice review.
Always enjoy reading your reviews.

Nice review, but what a horrific burn! That's about the worst I've ever seen.

Wilkey

Nice review. I have always wanted to try them as well. Lets spilt a box of the new release :)

I have had the same experience with the HdM EL 2007 Regalios as well

Nice presentation as usual Greg.

Pity about the burn.

Brian

I agree 100% with your critique of this smoke. It is indeed phenominal!! Sorry about the burn, but even with the burn issues it was great. Man I wish I could find some of these :(.

Jim