• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Sir Winston

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
What a glorious day! Mid to upper 60’s, lots of sunshine, a nice breeze. I spent a good bit of the morning working on the back lawn spreading out some weed killer/fertilizer. Weeds popping up all over the place! Of course, the wife and the baby girl take off to the little baby shop down the street leaving me and Mandy (JRT) to some nice relaxation time. I decided this was a perfect opportunity to try that Sir Winnie!

03-01-08Imported093.jpg

I have to say I’ve been really anticipating trying this smoke. I’ve seen and heard so much about them, so today was the day! This 7 x 47 stick was a thing of beauty; a solid stick with very nice weight in the hand. It had just a small amount of give when pressed between my fingers, just about perfect. The golden brown wrapper had a nice oily sheen and only one slight vein running down the length. I could see little tiny hairs (no not mold :laugh: ) and some crystalline if held just right in the sun. The triple cap was all but perfect, and I couldn’t wait any more so put the punch to it.

03-01-08Imported092.jpg

03-01-08Imported098.jpg

03-01-08Imported099.jpg

Pre-light draw was spot on perfect, not too tight nor too loose. I got a slight spiciness with cedar notes as well as a wonderful taste of matured tobacco. Oh this was gooood. I toasted up the foot and put fire to it.

03-01-08Imported096.jpg

03-01-08Imported101.jpg

An abundance of smoke poured from this thing. I took the first draw very carefully as I wasn’t sure what to expect. Oh yes, a little spice with notes of grass and cedar. My second draw I made a little deeper and wow, a lot more spice, as was my third draw as well. However, after that third, the spiciness subsided and the true flavors started coming through. A delicious taste of cedar and grass along with hints of cocoa. Or, was that coffee? Hmmm. Yes, fresh brewed coffee with a very rich cream. Definitely some leather in there somewhere. All the while the spice was at the perfect level.

03-01-08Imported111.jpg

Around a third into it, I took a draw and suddenly it was a different cigar. That coffee with rich cream disappeared and the absolute delectable flavor of melba toast hit my palate. No, not Melba toast. Gingerbread! Tasting like it had just come out the oven! Wow. But wait. Maybe, more like, toasted white bread spread with butter? Oh man, this thing had me all over the place with flavor. Downright delicious! The amount of smooth and creamy smoke flowing from this cigar was a beautiful sight to see.

Right at the half-way point, the delicious “baked/toasted bread” flavor subsided and the smoke took on a more herbal flavor. Maybe not herbal, fruit? Yes, fruit with honey. It was so good it tickled the back of my throat! I’d say the first half was a medium to medium-full body, however after hitting the half-way point, it took on more of a medium-full to full. I found that a full, long draw was a bit much, so started taking in smaller amounts of smoke. Perfect!

03-01-08Imported107.jpg

My wife and baby girl pulled up, and I unfortunately had to help take some things in, so had to sit it down. I intended to go right back to it, but ended up playing with my little girl (and yes, more toys she just got! :laugh: ). I did however, come back to it later in the evening after dinner. I don’t care much for lighting up a stogie once it’s gone out and sat for a while, however this one I wasn’t about to waste. It took several draws to finally get the initial bitter/powerful taste to subside, however it got back to that same fruit with honey flavor along with a chameleon of other flavors coming and going. It was like a kaleidoscope of flavors!

03-01-08Imported125.jpg

And so, all good things must come to a nubby little end. The only thing was the ash kept falling off after burning approximately an inch down. No biggie.

03-01-08Imported140.jpg

Now I know what some many have talked about. This seemed to me to be one complex cigar but with a wonderful balance of flavor and spice. I’m sure I didn’t do justice to the many flavors that came through. If you have one of these, smoke it! If you don’t, get one. :D

Great review!!! I am glad I got in on that 5er!!!

Step

Antsypants, again awesome review, I'm a fan of em.

On another note, YOUR CAMERA IS FUGGIN INSANE!!! Detail is so good on the pics!

Nice review for an excellent stick.

Lately, I have been smoking out of an 03 box as well. Up until the last smoke, they were great and then a very bad plug. The roller must have been playing with himself on that one... :laugh:

Brian

Wow, great review. I hope to have the opportunity to try one of these one day. Sounds amazing...

Very very nice review Greg. I cannot wait to try one! Gonna have to wait for a nice spring day for that one though!

On a side note, on to Brian. If the roller was playing with himself with that plugged one, are you so sure you want to smoke the next one??? I can see he review about the abundance of "creaminess" and that is all!

Don

Nice review, I have been hearing alot about these lately! They really have my interest, I gonna try to track one down and smoke it up! x2 on the camera.

Another great review Greg. You're about to become the Marvin Hagler of cigars the way you punch 'em. Great technician!! :thumbs:

Greag, what camera/lens are you using? Wondering if my camera can do it up!

Very very nice review Greg. I cannot wait to try one! Gonna have to wait for a nice spring day for that one though!

On a side note, on to Brian. If the roller was playing with himself with that plugged one, are you so sure you want to smoke the next one??? I can see he review about the abundance of "creaminess" and that is all!

Don
To much information :sign:

Seriously though, as Kingantz so eloquently described with great pics, these are great smokes. I have smoked many and they never disappoint.
I was shocked when the one in question was plugged. I couldn't get it to work with a poker. <no comment here please Dsav> LOL

Brian

Excellent review! Job well done and the pics my the review even better. :thumbs:

Very nice brother! I am terrible with a camera, so I am going to have to learn how to take good pics. lol. Even point and shoot I am terrible. :)

Don

Definietely a good stick. I have a box of 03 wouldn't mind getting an 07'

Awesome review, great pictures, and sounds like a great cigar. I seem to miss every GB that comes around. :angry:

One my favs for sure. Got an 03 box I am smoking out of right now.

One of my favorites! :thumbs: The last ones I was able to get my mitts on were '03 as well.

Nice review kingantz!

Great review bro! Awesome camera you have, those pics are just fantastic. Thanks for sharing. BTW, the MN crew stumbled upon some 2001's. I haven't had one yet, but the other guys have been makin' sweet love with these sticks. Thoroughly good reviews all around.