• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Home-made wooden ash tray

Awesome. I'm curious to see what a round one with the same inner area would look like. :thumbs:

Awesome. I'm curious to see what a round one with the same inner area would look like. :thumbs:

If he rounds the corners a little, that would give it a rounder look.

Edit for punctuation

I'd be happy to make some for you guys. the product for yall would be higher quality. The one we are making, has been made on a zero dollar budget so we havent been to worried about SUUUPER high quality or anything. Just hit me with a PM and we shall talk.

Side note: We can make pretty much make any design or shape that y'all have in mind. Our next endeavor will be inlaying something in the bottom of the bowl such as a Texas star. Glad to hear everyone likes it so far. We just put the coat of polyurethane on.

Just an FYI, but keep in mind that general trading/buying practices are to have the newer guys send their end first.

I'd be happy to make some for you guys. the product for yall would be higher quality. The one we are making, has been made on a zero dollar budget so we havent been to worried about SUUUPER high quality or anything. Just hit me with a PM and we shall talk.

Be careful with this.

Search ' cigar box clock' on here - or PM Rod to if you need help!

Edited because i found the answer.

I read the post and understand where yall are coming from. Im not out to make money. I'll PM rod and just get his take.

Sorry for any confusion. This was intended as just a fun way to pass the time and we wanted to share our progress and idea with y'all. We had no intentions of even selling an ashtray. If this raises any concerns we will gladly stop. However, if anyone still wants an ashtray we would be glad to make one, free of charge, in hopes a cigar or two would be tossed our way. No money involved. Did not mean to disturb the peace and bring up bad memories (cigar box clock).

Sorry for any confusion. This was intended as just a fun way to pass the time and we wanted to share our progress and idea with y'all. We had no intentions of even selling an ashtray. If this raises any concerns we will gladly stop. However, if anyone still wants an ashtray we would be glad to make one, free of charge, in hopes a cigar or two would be tossed our way. No money involved. Did not mean to disturb the peace and bring up bad memories (cigar box clock).

You're not disturbing the peace, just wanted to put it out there.

I propose you make the design with the wood, ship it to me and I do the rest as far as stain and protecting goes. The fact of the matter is I don't have the equipment required to do this.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on toes by trying to do a trade with someone less than four months, but this is a cool project to try to keep me busy.

I propose you make the design with the wood, ship it to me and I do the rest as far as stain and protecting goes. The fact of the matter is I don't have the equipment required to do this.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on toes by trying to do a trade with someone less than four months, but this is a cool project to try to keep me busy.

Jon - I think you're 100% fine on this. These guys were approached by you guys, not the other way around. Per the rules they just wouldn't be able to post any sales/trades without the 4 months. The can respond to a sale/trade, but would be subject to the sending their end first, which is why I brought it up.

Same for me. I don't think my flat head screw driver would be able to handle the abuse of making an ash tray.. ???

The first tray was for Austin's house. Now we are starting work on two identical ones. One for my house, and one extra for no real reason. The matching two started out as many of the small strips shown below. They were glued and clamped together to make what you see below.
6519809137_5068338da9.jpg

Next the wood was cut and sanded lightly for a clean, smooth surface from which to begin.

6519809149_9fac6ce1cc.jpg

Next I made a router template and routed out the first shallow pass with the router. I have offset the places where the cigars go so they dont touch eachother. Austin pointed out my lack of testing on the last one haha.

6519809125_0d993b6091.jpg

Still alot of wood cutting and shaping.
Any thoughts for light or dark stain? rounded or sharp outside edges?

Offsetting is a really good idea. I would personally round the edges and stain it i a darker cherry color

I am anxious to see how the plywood handles the shaping process.

I was thinking darker as well. and it seems the plywood held up well to the first router pass.

Who has all these wood working tools? Are you guys using one of your dads garages/tools?

It's at my house, my dad has been a general contractor on and off for a number of years and I do carpentry and general home repair on weekends to earn some extra dough. So the tools are a mix of my dads and mine.