• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Home-made wooden ash tray

If you did you sure wouldnt wanna talk about it.

6676974667_50a2544235.jpg

I found out about the cocobolo saw dust the hard way. I cut most of the bowl by hand with a chisel and finished it with a router. When I went to blow off the saw dust I got some in both eyes and inhaled a nose full. It felt like I snorted chili powder.

You guys are doing some great work! I may be interested in one of these in the near future. I'll keep you posted!

Ash Tray came today! It looks amazing, almost to nice to use...

Like great smokes are meant to be burned, I think these are meant to be used! Let's see some action pics!

Like great smokes are meant to be burned, I think these are meant to be used! Let's see some action pics!

It will get used. I will post pics after I get the ash tray finished (needs to have protective urethane put on) and christen it.

It will get used. I will post pics after I get the ash tray finished (needs to have protective urethane put on) and christen it.

Hey dude, let me know which urethane you end up using and where you got it from. I still need to cover mine... :(

Wow, great work, these are really nice. I like the offset ones, what a great idea.

TFG

Hey dude, let me know which urethane you end up using and where you got it from. I still need to cover mine... :(

I bought a rattle can of Semi-Gloss Polycrylic from Home Depot. Just make sure you do a good job on the final prep...I did a pass on my ash tray with 150 grit paper, then followed it up with some 220 to get a good smooth finish. I still need to hit mine with some clear stain, the stain will really bring out the true color (and contrast) of the zebra wood.

I am hoping to be able to get the stain on today, and will post some pics of the stained piece.

ETA - Here are a couple pics of my ash tray all stained. I didn't do the clear stain, since all I could find was quart sized cans. So I used some very light stain (one shade darker than clear) that I had laying around the house.

Before Staining...
tray.jpg

After a very light coat of stain...

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

I will be applying the first coat of finish tomorrow morning, supposing that it doesn't rain.