• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Home-made wooden ash tray

Here is the finished product in all her glory! I am heading out of town for the rest of the weekend, so it will get broken in on Monday evening!

This one is in the direct sun light. Look at the shine it has!
IMAG0083.jpg

This one is in the garage, not direct sun. Still shines really nice!
IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

Thanks to Austin and Mike for making this for me! I can't wait to start using it...

ETA - I will take a pic of the ash tray in action when I get home.

That ashtray is a thing of beauty. Great job on the finishing work.

Looking forward to seeing what a tineo ashtray is going to look like.

Very nice work! Perhaps I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what type of finish do you use on these?

OK...I'm totally impressed and I'm in for one of those round ones exactly as pictured.

I think I have a couple of stogies laying around to send you guys...I hope you like flavored cigars.

How do we do this?

The before sanding picture above shows me a work of art. What are every ones thoughts about leaving the tray in its natural wood and not laying on coats of what ever. I like the way it looks before sanding.

My concern would be how the wood would stand up to hot ash....

Did that come across the eight way?

I think it would do just fine. I know I have dropped ash on myself many times and its definitely not hot enough to do any damage IMO. However, I could be wrong.

Long ashes guys are one of the things I look for in a good stick. Mine are cold by the time they hit the deck :p . Thanks for the feed back, I still like the natural look of these trays.

Oh ya, one other thing. There ain't nothing like a hot ash as long as it isn't on the head of my ---------------. Now did I say that the :0 "eight way"?

If you use it, it will get burned. Use it!!! It will then have history. It will become a friend and you and it will have stories together. Break it in Brother.....Break it in! :thumbs:

I think the tray would do fine without poly. However, it might look nice with a rubbed oil finish as well.

thechenman, we apologize for our slow posting, but here is your beautiful block of tineo, it came with a wax coating to protect the wood from adverse conditions, this is common practice. So please, enjoy your fantasies about what this piece will turn into, cause i know its got me dreaming. SOOO PRETTY. :love:
6833168991_98c6ea6c27.jpg

That ashtray is a thing of beauty. Great job on the finishing work.

Looking forward to seeing what a tineo ashtray is going to look like.

Thanks, I am going to try and break it in tonight. I didn't get home early enough from my weekend to be able to smoke anything yesterday.

Very nice work! Perhaps I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what type of finish do you use on these?

I posted what I did on page 5 somewhere. But I just hit the piece with 150 grit, then 220 grit sand paper. Then added a very light stain, just to give a bit more contrast. Finally I sprayed the piece with Polycrilic (semi-gloss) for a bit of protection. I did 4 light coats with a light 220 grit sanding before each coat, you could also use steel wool between each coat and get the same results.

The before sanding picture above shows me a work of art. What are every ones thoughts about leaving the tray in its natural wood and not laying on coats of what ever. I like the way it looks before sanding.

I was really impressed by the piece when I pulled it out of the box, and was thinking about leaving as-is. You could really just leave the natural untouched finish, I just wanted to add some additional protection in case for some reason the ash try gets left outside.

I personally would at least add a coat of urethane (or some protectant) even if it's a flat finish. I think if I were to do it over again, I maybe wouldn't do the stain but I would still have done the finish sanding and the polycrylic for protection.

thechenman, we apologize for our slow posting, but here is your beautiful block of tineo, it came with a wax coating to protect the wood from adverse conditions, this is common practice. So please, enjoy your fantasies about what this piece will turn into, cause i know its got me dreaming. SOOO PRETTY. :love:
6833168991_98c6ea6c27.jpg

Thanks guys for posting a pic of the wood. Looks great, and I'm sure the finished product will be fantastic. Again...no rush...I'm sure you've been getting a lot of requests.

Hope that block of tineo turned out well. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Very cool works!

Question: Can you guys do actual shaped designs, or are you doing all square and round for right now? I think a Rigger Wings ashtray would be kind of cool, from a novelty point of view. It would take some detail work, though, and wouldn't be completely smooth in the trough. Probably not doable, but kind of a cool idea for those who it applies to (I imagine Airborne parachute/wings would be pretty popular, too).

rigger.gif