• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Homemade Bread ?

Set-In-Stone

The Dude Abides
Lately I have been getting more into the whole "self-sufficient" mentality. Most recently, I have been curious about baking my own breads. I am a big 'dip' person who enjoys more of the crusty breads. I love to break off chunks and drench it in oil,balsamic, with crushed garlic and herbs. Buying 'artisan' breads at the store are great, but I am looking to bake my own.

My question(s) are; does anyone have any recipes for some homemade, artisan bread(s). Also, what type of pans/pots/dutch oven/cooking set-up do you use?
Thanks for any insight that you may offer…

* I am aware I can easily search the web for answers, but I value my brothers' opinions and expertise more.

A hobby where, if you fail, you literally eat your failure! ;) Usually, the worst that happens is uneven rising causing big holes.

I baked bread when the kids were little because it was an activity we all liked and the results were at least edible. But practice makes perfect so we were turning out some great loaves eventually.

Asked my self proclaimed bread snob buddy.

He said this is a good recipe for starts:

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/...ad-the-best-easiest-bread-you-will-ever-make/

And this is a decent beginners book:

https://www.amazon.com/Step-Step-Br...=UTF8&qid=1486175457&sr=8-1&keywords=dk+bread

I looked at both of these because they focused more on breads than overall cooking. Very interesting stuff. Have you ever had some of your bread snob buddy's bread? Just curious to how it was…Also, thanks for the links!

I like making this rosemary olive oil bread. I cook it on a stone sheet pan.

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/rosemary-olive-oil-bread/

I've also made it with thyme and sage and they were good, too, but rosemary was the best. Great with the balsamic / olive oil.

This looks like exactly what I am after ! Yuum. It works out well too because of the fresh herbs I grow every year. I may have to add some of my homegrown, organic garlic to this recipe and give it a try. Thanks for the link...

A hobby where, if you fail, you literally eat your failure! ;) Usually, the worst that happens is uneven rising causing big holes.

I baked bread when the kids were little because it was an activity we all liked and the results were at least edible. But practice makes perfect so we were turning out some great loaves eventually.

I agree. One of my favorite things to do is cook, although I always don't have the time for it. I too enjoy cooking with the little one. She will be 11 soon, but always enjoys the process of making pizzas. She really enjoys the rolling of the dough, so I am thinking breads may be a new favorite for her? Plus, it's always good to know how to bake your own breads. Im sure, like anything, the more you do, the better it gets. I am really looking forward to trying many, many times. Hopefully I can nail in some good ones.

Have you ever had some of your bread snob buddy's bread
No I haven't. He is far away from me. That said, he's a very capable and intelligent sort of fellow. (he shares his projects on YouTube. Not afraid to jump into anything)
Here is a video he made on baking bread. He also just mentioned to me that he should do a video on Crusty Bread.

With a miserably cold, and snowy day - I figured today would be a good day to start practicing. My girlfriend put together stew this morning into the crockpot, I just left my neighbors homestead where I milked his cows and chatted while making butter. So now it is time to roll up the sleeves once more and get the dough together to rise. I am going with JHolmes recipe on the link he attached simply because it looks great and seems simple. I will post some pics up later if I can remember how to do that?

This is the basic recipe I use:

INGREDIENTS
    • ½ cup low-fat milk
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
    • 2 packages active dry yeast
    • 1 ½ cups warm water (105 F to 115 F)
    • 5-6 cups all-purpose flour

PREPARATION
    1. Place milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add lukewarm milk mixture and 4 ½ cups flour. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 1 minute. Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, and mix about 2 minutes, or until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on Speed 2 about 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly stick to the touch. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf, and place in greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½-inch baking pans. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 400 F for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

I used to make my own bread all the time. 100% whole wheat. I even have my own hi tech milling machine. I only used a certain berry from montana, because it was very light, didn't make heavy bread like hard red berrys will if you use 100%. I quit eating much bread at all years ago because I got too fat. Turns out carbs are my enemy. All this talk is getting me in the mood!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the links and recipes. We are currently in the process of getting another 14" -20" of snow today into tomorrow….So I am about to try some more dough/bread!
I am still trying to figure out the picture thing from my phone to share with you, however - the first bread made was a success! The only thing I wish I had done was bake it for a couple more minutes to get a crisper crust. Other than that, it was very flavorful.

I have pretty much mastered a few recipes. I started with JHolmes' 'Rosemary Olive Oil' bread and tried a few others, but I kept going back to the Rosemary bread. It is fantastic!! I tweaked mine over time and found out that adding (1) egg as well as 1/2cup of bread flour right into the mix worked best. I make it all the time now, especially in the winter months, and my neighbors love when I show up with a couple fresh loafs in hand. I no longer look at the recipe and can crank out a few loafs/day easily. Thanks again all.

Has anyone ever tried making potato bread?

I've tried twice to do a wild yeast sourdough with out any luck.

I'll give it another try.