• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Homemade Kombucha - anyone?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone into Kombucha? I tried it for the first time recently (reluctantly as it seemed like some mellenial fad). In any case, I was amazed how it helped my stomach. Bought a few cases at Costco, and then decided I'm going to start brewing it myself. So I bought a kit online with a starter scoby, and am now on my second batch. It's actually really easy to do. Takes about 30 min, and then after a few weeks you bottle it, let it carbonate, then refrigerate and drink. Certainly saving money brewing it at home.

Curious if anyone else has tried it.

Batch #2 pictured.IMG-8489.JPG

Never even entertained the idea of Brewing it myself. Love drinking it when I am trying to shed a few pounds though. Seems to help in that aspect. My favorites seem to be anything with ginger, or ginger and lemon.

The wife makes it. There are weird bottles cluttering up my pantry. All the ones she makes taste like vinegar to me.

Sounds kinda gross. Is it alcoholic? What are the benefits?
It has very very small amounts of alcohol. People drink it because it's loaded with probiotics. Has an acetic taste to it, similar to vinegar, but not as strong. People use a lot of different flavorings in it.

I prefer it plain, though lemon and ginger is really good.

Where'd you get your scoby from, Todd? I didn't make any over the summer and am debating just buying one instead of growing another one.

I bought it from the Kombucha Store on Amazon. I think they're like $7 online.

Hey Ron, I would like to grab this kit for my wife, she loves this stuff. Which one did you get?

Her birthday is fast approaching and this is much cheaper than diamonds. Much thanks.

I have 4 gal about ready for the (short) 2nd ferment, might start selling some here in hippy central (asheville). Helps my GI system.

I have 4 gal about ready for the (short) 2nd ferment, might start selling some here in hippy central (asheville). Helps my GI system.
Look what the cat dragged in.

Doc

Been awhile, glad to see this place is still kicking ?