• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Houston before & now

We have an interesting, and confusing, roadway system here. Many of the highways you are seeing underwater are designed as viaducts for situations like this.

If we didn't push water to the highways, more people would be flooded. Just like our reservoirs and lake dams are supposed to protect the city from flash floods, it just can handle rains that drop more than 2"/hr.

We have an interesting, and confusing, roadway system here. Many of the highways you are seeing underwater are designed as viaducts for situations like this.

If we didn't push water to the highways, more people would be flooded. Just like our reservoirs and lake dams are supposed to protect the city from flash floods, it just can handle rains that drop more than 2"/hr.

In Lake Charles, where I lived as a kid, there's a street named "Bank Street" because it's a good 6' lower than surrounding streets. Same theory---the annual flood rains poured into Bank Street, and Bank street poured into a concrete viaduct that probably poured into the ship channel. Bank was at the end of my block, and the viaduct, where we used to trash our Stingrays trying to bike the walls, was a couple blocks away.

Every good hard rain, the water on Bank would be level across with the water on my street, and people who didn't know the neighborhood would end up on top of their cars out in the middle of it.

~Boar

Never knew it was called a Stingray, but that was my first 20" bike. Lasted me all through elementary school.

Build on a flat anywhere near any water and there will be a time that you'll get flooded. It really shouldn't be any surprise.

Build on a flat anywhere near any water and there will be a time that you'll get flooded. It really shouldn't be any surprise.

We're 108' above sea level.

Pour water faster than it can drain into a funnel and watch it overflow. Lol

We're 108' above sea level.

Pour water faster than it can drain into a funnel and watch it overflow. Lol
Yeah and if you look at the satellite photos of the Mississippi tertiary flood plane it is 100 miles across in some places and a whole bunch of them are over 108' above sealevel.

Never knew it was called a Stingray, but that was my first 20" bike. Lasted me all through elementary school.

Stingray, Spyder, banana . . . lordy, those were the days. We used to pull each other on those clip on steel skates behind each other. Had another fun game that involved running a gauntlet standing on the pegs while your friends tried to knock you off your bike with bamboo poles, and a rutted out drive down onto Bank behind a friend's house that we used to gonzo downhill on.

It's a wonder I'm still alive. :rolleyes:

~Boar

That's a crazy amount of water any way you look at it. I am not surprised by the flooding for that region but the amount of rain is amazing.

I've seen some weather in my time, but I've never seen anything like this.

Doc

You know that there will be a drought next year.

Someone did the math, enough rain fell during Harvey to cover all of the entirety of Texas in 5" of water.

The climatologist, in Grey, Maine said if a similar storm should hit NH, It would cease to exist. Fortunately, we're not as flat as a pancake, so it's almost impossible for it to occur. But can you imagine that much rain falling on Mt. Washington, running into the Pemi and eventually the Merrimack river? It would be a wall of water, and going pretty fast, by the time it got to Concord.

Doc

Last edited: