• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HOW TO MAKE FOCACCIA BARESE (Also a great pizza dough)

MadMonk

My maternal Grandmother and Grandfather were both from Bari. She was a pretty amazing cook. I make her version of this type of dough, which uses boiled potatoes (1/3 to 2/3 of the flour, by weight) and the water, but this looks a lot simpler.

I may try it this weekend. You'll notice it expands quite a bit, and it is much lighter than a lot of folks may imagine. The "skin" on the bottom of my Grandmothers recipe is a wonderful thing. I'm hoping this one has that same quality. This is the ONLY time I have seen anybody even bring up this type of dough. It was the only dough she used for pizza.

Oh, man, that looks good. Do you let it "sleep" for 8 hrs at room temp? I couldn't listen with sound.

For that long, too? Seems like it'd blow up. :)
haha, never has with my recipe, but I did check with him, and he also said Room temp. I plan on doing this soon, so we'll see. I'm going to make a pizza and not a foccacia. What I am not real confident about is his 300* Celsius for an hour.

My understanding is that the fridge will slow it down, and develop a more mellow flavor. Bread folks debate "in or out of fridge" all the time. That said. Nonna is always right. haha. :D