• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to Sell Large Cigar Collection

catmandu

Hi, all,

This is my first post on this site.

I have a client who has a significant cigar collection, with some truly collectible items (e.g., Fuente Fuente Opus X BBMF in cello, etc.). He no longer smokes (poor guy) and tells me that the online auction sites that used to allow buy/sell/auction of cigars no longer do so. He has been trying to find an interested party to buy his collection for about a year, but no luck.

He has 100s of singles and many, many boxes. Some of the cigars date back to the 1970s.

He even has a sealed box of FFOX in a rare, unreleased size made specifically for a Dan Marino Foundation dinner in the early 1990s that is signed by Carlito Fuente and Dan Marino #13. There is a certificate (letter) of authenticity.

There's much more, but obviously not enough room here (nor do I have all of the information) to list everything. Nor would it be appropriate.

Does anyone have any ideas? Are there places to sell whole collections?

Any help by anyone is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Best regards,

catmandu

Why did you post this in the Cuban cigar section? ???

You are going to be chastised for making this your first post on the board, as it goes against our etiquette. There are a couple of boards that exist primarily for buying/selling/trading cigars but this isn't one of them. In any circumstance, other than if you sell on ebay, you/ your client will be expected to set the price up front.

There's a couple sites such as gartrader.com and onlinehumidor.com. You could try those.

catmandu - greetings.

As you can probably figure out by the "comments', you've broken most of the rules on this forum for cigar sales. These rules are in place to protect the membership, and they are enforced rapidly and with little wiggle room. Our community is a safe place to buy and sell, but that's a very secondary aspect of what goes on here; the major emphasis is on the community. There have been ruthless scammers roll through here before, which is another reason the rules are strictly enforced. I'm not implying you are in that lot, only pointing out past experience. If you'd like to stick around and become a contributing member of the community, you'd be welcome.

Short term, I don't have a great answer for your sale concerns. You could check out the two forums already mentioned, as their focus is on buying and selling. Or, find a decent B&M locally and go from there. Lastly, depending on your prices, you could check with any of the store owners that frequent these pages to see if they'd be interested in some of the collection.

Good luck - B.B.S.

There's a couple sites such as gartrader.com and onlinehumidor.com. You could try those.

Since Jon posted it and now I don't look like the asshole, those would be my recommendation as well.

Well, this certainly is a harsh crowd!

If I have broken rules, I apologize to all, as that was not my intent. I did review what was needed to be reviewed prior to registering with the site and posting, and didn't see anything that barred what I did. I am not saying there are no such rules - I just didn't see them. Had I seen them, I would not have posted what I did here.

In any event, it seems that most commenters have misinterpreted what I asked. I am not seeking to sell anything here on this forum. I was merely asking a few cordial folks for some guidance, as selling/trading/buying cigars online has changed tremendously since I participated years ago. As for why I chose this forum, it is my understanding that the collection is comprised substantially of Habanos. Hence, I thought this group might appreciate the sensitivity as to my request.

B.B.S., thank you for the explanation. There are always bad apples who muck things up and ruin the party. I know of people who were scammed years back when Yahoo did auctions.

Insight, Ouch! Please accept my apologies. I am just trying to find information and am not selling anything (at least here among this group).

B.B.S. - thank you, again, you have been very helpful.

Best regards to all,

Richard a/k/a catamandu

Richard A. Catalina, Jr., Esq.
Managaing Attorney, Catalina & Associates, A Professional Corporation
www.newtechlegal.com
www.successmanual.com
The Princeton Licensing Group, Princeton, New Jersey
Princeton Cambridge Publishing Group, Princeton, New Jersey
Princeton Cambridge Legal Publishers, Princeton, New Jersey

Yes, I am a real human.

Sorry for the not so nice welcome before but welcome now! Hope you enjoy it here. Are you a cigar smoker too? I'd probably snap up a few of those if I were you.

So your client owns the box of Opus X footballs that were auctioned for charity, and bought for $13,000?

So your client owns the box of Opus X footballs that were auctioned for charity, and bought for $13,000?

I was thinking about this and I am thinking they might be something else. AFAIK the footballs were produced much later than the early 90s, I think only 6 or 7 years ago. It could very well be product from any one of a number of other auctions? If it is the footballs then that is a hell of an item to have up for sale...

eBay :whistling:
Your best bet at any rate. Many bidders are wealthy and some are uninformed so rare items often go for much more than they're worth.

I was thinking about this and I am thinking they might be something else. AFAIK the footballs were produced much later than the early 90s, I think only 6 or 7 years ago. It could very well be product from any one of a number of other auctions? If it is the footballs then that is a hell of an item to have up for sale...

You're right, I think those sold in 2003. I just remember those being up for sale at a Dan Marino charity auction, and that immediately popped into my head.

Well, this certainly is a harsh crowd!

If I have broken rules, I apologize to all, as that was not my intent. I did review what was needed to be reviewed prior to registering with the site and posting, and didn't see anything that barred what I did. I am not saying there are no such rules - I just didn't see them. Had I seen them, I would not have posted what I did here.

In any event, it seems that most commenters have misinterpreted what I asked. I am not seeking to sell anything here on this forum. I was merely asking a few cordial folks for some guidance, as selling/trading/buying cigars online has changed tremendously since I participated years ago. As for why I chose this forum, it is my understanding that the collection is comprised substantially of Habanos. Hence, I thought this group might appreciate the sensitivity as to my request.

B.B.S., thank you for the explanation. There are always bad apples who muck things up and ruin the party. I know of people who were scammed years back when Yahoo did auctions.

Insight, Ouch! Please accept my apologies. I am just trying to find information and am not selling anything (at least here among this group).

B.B.S. - thank you, again, you have been very helpful.

Best regards to all,

Richard a/k/a catamandu

Richard A. Catalina, Jr., Esq.
Managaing Attorney, Catalina & Associates, A Professional Corporation
www.newtechlegal.com
www.successmanual.com
The Princeton Licensing Group, Princeton, New Jersey
Princeton Cambridge Publishing Group, Princeton, New Jersey
Princeton Cambridge Legal Publishers, Princeton, New Jersey

Yes, I am a real human.

Reminds me of our level one trauma sturgeon. Remember him, fellas? Trying to intimidate us with your resume, young fella? Sure sign of inexperience and other things.:whistling:

Doc.