• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 1 – 2000

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It has turned out to be an unbelievably beautiful, warm day reaching right at 75F. The wife and baby girl head out to enjoy some fun time up front, and I go digging to see what cigar would be good for such an excellent day. Since I had a Monte No. 2 this morning from 2000, I decide on a HDM Epi 1 from 2000 to keep the theme going. The Epi 1 seems very light in the hand and not much by way of oil left in the chocolate brown wrapper. It has several prominent veins running the length with a nicely constructed cap on top, and after punching it with the largest ring on my knife I find a perfect draw and taste of well matured tobacco.

The foot lights very easily and volumes of smoke is pouring through in no time. My first draw is somewhat mild in strength with just a hint of cinnamon spice. After a couple more draws it moves up slightly, still mild in strength but detectable on the palate. There’s a full body in the smoke and flavors are really good, that of toasted nuts, cedar wood, nutmeg and cinnamon mixed with other flavors that are difficult to pinpoint.

Heading into the halfway mark, the burn is sharp with a dark gray ash forming that is very loose and falls on its own after about three-quarters of an inch in. I can definitely tell the cigar has a good deal of age as there is a noticeable mildness in the smoke, possibly close to being past its prime. At least this is what I find through the first third, which goes rather quickly as the cigar is burning fast, even though I’m taking my time. Flavors are seemingly complex and very good with a charred wood flavor coming into play.

This cigar hit its sweet spot in the final third where a certain richness manifested in the smoke and was exquisite in taste. Flavors continue to be complex to my palate, too difficult to describe other than incredibly good with a long finish. This was a very rare treat to smoke on an exceptionally beautiful Sunday afternoon. It performed perfectly with sharp burn, excellent draw, rich, complex flavors and lasting finish. Thanks so much my friend for sharing such a fine cigar.

11-08-09HDMEpi2001.jpg

11-08-09HDMEpi2002.jpg

11-08-09HDMEpi2003.jpg

DSC03150.jpg

Edit as this was a Epi 1 and not an Epi 2

Looks to be some plume on the cigar. How do you manage sitting on a cigar for ~10 years? Thanks for the review. :thumbs:

That looks like a yummy cigar. Maybe i get the chance to try one in the future, very nice review as always.