• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo De Monterrey Palmas Extra 2008

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
The last day of Summer was this past week, Fall has now crept in with multi-colored leaves appearing on the trees and scattered all over the ground. It’s cloudy, cool, and breezy out this morning, so really feels like a typical Fall day. Because I slept late this morning, I debated on whether to have a smoke or not, and finally decided to put fire to this HDM Palmas Extra. This is a corona size cigar that has good construction with medium to dark brown wrapper, minimal oils, and small veins throughout. There’s a good weight in the hand, bunching in the foot decent with a sweet tobacco smell that has a bit of mustiness. I punch the cap and find the draw somewhat tight with the tobacco looking quite compact under the cap, so I grab my Palio and give the head a clip. Unfortunately it didn’t help, however hopefully the small amount of draw will work well enough and possibly open up once the cigar has warmed.

I put fire to the foot and have a good, even burn going in no time with an moderate amount of smoke produced. After taking a couple quick puffs, I take a slow draw that produces more than enough medium strength smoke with a perfect spice on the back of the tongue. It seems to coat the tongue, slightly oily feeling, with a richness in the flavor right from the start. Tastes of a semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, dark roasted nuts, and leather with what seems like a hint of cinnamon. Delicious!

The burn leans hear and there, but not so much that it requires any touching up, with the ash rugged looking if I can call it that. It’s a medium to dark gray in color and holds strong until tapped off in the ashtray. I’m finding the draw, although having a bit more resistance than I like, is working really well with the medium to almost full strength smoke coming through and perfect amount of spice on the throat. Flavors continue to be very rich and delicious, seemingly complex if I must say, leaving a somewhat lasting finish on the palate.

This cigar performed perfectly throughout with good burn, deliciously rich flavors, and lasting finish. The draw, although slightly tight, worked really well with a perfect medium to almost full strength and slightly heavy body to the smoke that hit my palate just right. I checked out the price on these and for $3 to $4 a stick, these are IMO an incredibly good bang for the buck! This may very well be one of my new go to smokes. Excellent cigar!

09-26-09HDMPalmasExtra001.jpg

09-26-09HDMPalmasExtra002.jpg

09-26-09HDMPalmasExtra003.jpg

09-26-09HDMPalmasExtra004.jpg

I think it's in the way he sets up the scene with his surroundings. I may be stuck in a warm garage with an AC blowing on me, but I'm transported to a place where the deer and the antelope play!

Great review as always Greg.

Thanks for the review. These ARE one of the best bangs for the buck... Lovem.

Great review. I have a box of these and may have to get one out now, although I found about 1/3 of the box to be plugged or have an insanely tight draw. That's how it goes with mid range CCs though I've found :( which is why I've stopped buying them.