• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo De Monterrey Piramides LE 2003

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Let me tell ya, there was one heck of a storm that came through last night. The wind gusts were unbelievable, sounded like a freight train coming through. Made a complete mess of the yard, and blew the pool cover completely off. Great. Got to clean more leaves out. Ah but first, why not have a nice smoke! :D

Took me a little while digging through the wineadors trying to find something I was in the mood for. Ah, looky what I found! A Hoyo De Monterrey Piramides EL 2003! I had completely forgotten I had picked these up. Unfortunately, they came un-banded, so it’s taken away some of the ambiance, however the bands don’t make the smoke, right?

This cigar had a gorgeous dark Colorado Rosado wrapper that was very oily and slightly coarse. It felt rather heavy in the hand and very little resistance when squeezed. I cut the tapered foot at an angle and found the draw to be just a tad bit on the tight side, however felt confident it would be more than sufficient for smoking. Toasting the foot, a pitch black ash formed and volumes of smoke wafted to my nose. The smell was divine! Fully charred, I gave the cigar a few good puffs to get it smoking good and took my first draw.

An absolutely delicious roasted coffee bean flavor with a rich creaminess was in the smoke. Tastes of dark earth with a slight hint of cedar and a smooth, incredibly rich cocoa bean came through with a perfect black pepper spice on the back of the throat. There was an exquisite taste on the lips that I just can’t seem to put my taste buds on, a salty sweetness that somehow enhances the smoke. The sun peeked through the clouds long enough to get a couple shots of how oily the wrapper was.

The smoke itself was a medium, to medium full in strength and had a perfect balance and a perfect burn, the strong ash finally falling at a third in. I kept thinking of the word rustic as I smoked on. The finish was incredibly smooth and lasting. Wonderful.

At the halfway point, the rich coffee bean flavor continued with sweet roasted nuts and cocoa. The smoke remained smooth and quite cool, even when I got close to nubbing. I have to say the blender at Hoyo De Monterrey who put this cigar together new exactly what they were doing as this was one fantastic cigar.

10-25-08HUpmannPiramideEL03001.jpg

Untitled.jpg

10-25-08Imported164.jpg

10-25-08HUpmannPiramideEL03003.jpg

10-25-08HUpmannPiramideEL03004.jpg

10-25-08HUpmannPiramideEL03005.jpg

10-25-08HUpmannPiramideEL03006.jpg

10-25-08HUpmannPiramideEL03007.jpg

10-25-08Spiders001.jpg

Black Widow Spider

It looks as though you dipped that stick in a vat of vegetable oil. Man what a sheen on that beautiful stick. Great review, it sounds like these are a special smoke. Glad you enjoyed it buddy.

Great review Greg. For some perky reason I think this might be your best one yet!!! hahahaha!

Don

Your pics make any cigar look good Greg :thumbs:

Another fine review, well done!

Brian

That is another cigar that has eluded me and based on your excellent review, I can probably see why no one ever offers up any for sale.

Damn, you are making my mouth water!! :sign:

The wrapper on that thing looks fantastic. Great review as always, maybe one day I can get my hands on some of those nice looking sticks.

mmmm one of my all time favs!

Great review... makes me wish I had some more :(

Nice review. Ugly spider.

In the summer of 99 I was bitten by an immature widow spider in Short Hills Provincial Park. Let's just say that it was not my happiest or most pleasant experience.

Great review and even better pics. I kept going back to them, closing my eyes and imagining myself partaking of this stick. If ever the opportunity presents itself to acquire one or two of these, I am all over it.