• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor seasoning

Skinwalker

how long should it take for a humidor to reach proper humidity? Mine has been going for about 5-6 days and seems to be stuck at 60% on and analog hygrometer. I just added a digital to it 10 minutes ago to see what the true reading is. Any advice?
I have a shot glass with distilled water in it plus a Xikar 100 crystal humidifier all in the 100 cigar Berkeley II Humidor

2 weeks is what I season mine at before I even open the box back up.

From what I've read, temperature may be playing a factor. I've gathered that cooler air requires more moisture to stay at a higher relative humidity (RH) than warmer air.

You may need more shot glasses, or humidifiers in order to reach a higher RH.

I've also gathered that when the heat is running, the RH in a home will generally go down as well. I've personally been dealing with this issue and it's been a bugger for sure!

Boveda packs have been highly recommended and may also be a good route for you to go.

So if i add another Shot glass with water you think that will bring it up. We are having a very mild winter here Bama. My house stays around 65* before my heat even kicks on. I like a cold house. If i add another glass and it brings the humidity up. Do you think i will have any problem maintaining a steady RH? The digital is reading almost exactly what the analog is reading plus it tells the temp as well and its around 70*

I had it closed for several days before i remembered i didn't add the removable shelf. So i put that in and its been close for about 2 days since. Just opened it a while ago to add the digital hygometer

I had it closed for several days before i remembered i didn't add the removable shelf. So i put that in and its been close for about 2 days since. Just opened it a while ago to add the digital hygometer

It is tough, but close the lid and walk away for at least a week.

You might try a shallow saucer/dish and a new clean sponge. That'll expose more surface area of the water.

It is tough, but close the lid and walk away for at least a week.

You might try a shallow saucer/dish and a new clean sponge. That'll expose more surface area of the water.

By introducing the new shelf, I'm pretty sure it more-or-less reset the clock a bit as the shelf will be soaking up most of the humidity to get acclimated to the environment.

Surface area is pretty important. More surface area means more liquid will be exposed to the environment. Think osmosis/concentration gradient. Water will move from high concentration to a lower concentration until it reaches some sort of equilibrium.

I didn't think about that. Makes sense that now the shelf is soaking up moisture. I'll just let it go and see what she does.

Be patent as others have said. It's a marathon not a sprint when it comes to properly seasoning. Check out the humidor forum look for ways to check for gaps or leaks. If you keep opening it it will set you back further unless of course you have a glass top. That's a whole different animal

Be patent as others have said. It's a marathon not a sprint when it comes to properly seasoning. Check out the humidor forum look for ways to check for gaps or leaks. If you keep opening it it will set you back further unless of course you have a glass top. That's a whole different animal
Mine does have a glass top. Why is that different.

So I messed up buying a humidor with a glass top
Not nessasarily. They tend to leak around the glass and are prone to temperature swings if in a sunny room. You can get some odorless dental wax and run a thin bead around the glass. I have a 500 count glass top and glass front window on mine and it holds a good RH but it needed some tweaking.

I've had a few glass tops. All have performed great. With no modifications needed. I would say though that I trust the Ashton Savoy brand with the utmost faith. Though made in China like most all are. I really think Ashton wouldn't risk putting thier name on crap. All you can do is check over the next two weeks 1x a day to see if it's holding steady humidity. Don't put it near heater vents, direct sunlight, or near windows.