• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Trouble

notrivia

Gentlemen, I have a humidor question. My wife purchased a humidor for me online. It is a smaller unit holds about 40 - 50 cigars. I have been trying to get this seasoned properly since purchased at Christmas. I have done everything, including what some say you shouldn't do - used damp cloth and wiped inside, left damp cloth on plastic baggy and sat with top closed for 5 days. Shot glass full of distilled water for 7 days. Most recently (4/14/17) I have wiped inside down with damp cloth and left a saucer of distilled water inside with top closed for 20 days. On 5/4/17 I removed the saucer and placed the humidifier green foam that came with unit soaked in distilled water and attached under the lid with the Xikar crystals. The humidity at this point was 90+ empty. *NOTE Hygrometer was salt test calibrated*. I left the unit empty and the top closed and the humidity has consistently fallen and it never leveled off. The humidity has fallen to 60 today. The unit is empty save for the foam and the Xikar Crystals. As I stated this is not the first time I have tried to season this unit. Is there something wrong with the box? Could the inside not be cedar? (But the smell of the wood is right). Is it just a poorly made box and it's not sealed correctly?? I am lost gentleman. Any ideas??

Some cheap humidors use a cedar veneer vice solids. From what I am interpreting, it's time to make it an accessories box.

If I understand, you put a humidity source in the box and got the humidity up to 90%.

Then you removed the source and the humidity dropped?

Sounds like it did what it was supposed to do...

The box isn't hermetically sealed, so humidity will reach equilibrium with the environment outside of the box.

Without some mass inside to hold the humidity, aka cigars, you're going to see fluctuations.

Buy some boveda packs at your preferred RH and add your cigars. Check the packets once a week or so, and recharge/replace as needed.

Empty humidor is no good. Now if after a day with cigars inside, you see the humidity shoot high or drop, something's wrong. Did you expect the humidity inside of an empty humidor to stay at 90%? 60 sounds right. If it keeps constant 60 empty it should fluctuate between 60-70 when it has cigars. Personally 70 is too high for my liking.

Good luck.

Vote for boveda here too. I'd get rid of the foam, xikar puck and use 2 $4 sized packs that should last 6+ months. Write the dates on the packs when you put them in, and if they don't last at least 4 months, the humidor likely has a leak.

GENTLEMEN!! Thanks for the support. I will grab some Boveda and throw my cigars in. When I checked again today, it was still at 60 without cigars. If I can keep it at around 65-68 I will call it success. Thanks again everyone!