Humidor with glass side

Discussion in 'Humidor Forum' started by Josie whales, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Josie whales

Josie whales Live to ride

Jan 1, 2018
    any idea’s on how to get a better seal on a humidor with glass sides? I was thinking on aquarium caulk on the outside

2. Acclaym

Acclaym Moderation in moderation

Jun 14, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    If you've got seal issues make sure it's not the lid first. If it's a desktop, hold the lid up a few inches and let it drop. It should not slam or slap closed but rather ease down in the final 1/8th inch like there's a bit of air being pressed out. Also, there's a 'dollar bill test' where you would try and fit a dollar in between the lid seal while closed. If you can slide a bill in between the wood of the lid and body you may have issues at that point.
    Glass is known to leak though...This is what I used in a recent build.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Silicone-2-8-oz-Clear-Aquarium-Sealant-00755/100128841

jbfurdog likes this.
  3. Josie whales

Jan 1, 2018
    It’s counter tops display. I don’t want to open it that’s why I was asking if it’s cool to do it outside? Does the caulk have a smell to it?

4. jbfurdog

jbfurdog Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Ohio
    Unflavored dental wax around the glass works too. There is another post around here that talks about that issue. Several actually.

cabaiguan juan and Acclaym like this.
  5. Acclaym

Acclaym Moderation in moderation

Jun 14, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    The aquarium silicon smells very strong for about two days and then becomes odorless.

6. Josie whales

Jan 1, 2018
    Just did the silicon did it on the outside applied a small amount it did smell but can’t smell it now hopefully it won’t get in the humidor now cigar Oasis isn’t turning on every 15 seconds

Acclaym likes this.