• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

IPA Recipe?

bluue13

Homebrewers-

Looking for a good all grain recipe for a really juicy Northeast style IPA or IIPA. Anyone have one that has worked well for them and willing to share?

Thanks!

Edit to add- Ideal size 5 gal.

Last edited:
Google Trillium, Tree House or Tired Hands clone. Those are the big IPAs everyone is trading for currently. Of course, there is heady topper as well.

I've got a recipe that should fit the bill. It has taken me around 10 batches to get it where I like it. It will produce a Juicy AF product almost Orange Juice visually.
O.G. 1.067
F.G. 1.017
IBU's 63.9
ABV% 6.6
SRM 4

7lbs of Maris Otter (You could sub in traditional 2row)
4lbs white wheat malt
8oz flaked oats (lightly toasted in oven) 375 deg for 5 min. You can use Quaker Oats

.8oz Citra at 15min
1oz Mosaic at 15min
2oz Citra at 5min
2oz Mosaic at 5min
2oz Citra at 0
3oz Mosaic at 0
5oz Citra dry hop for 4 days
5oz Mosaic dry hop for 4 days

Yeast: I like GigaYeast Vermont IPA or Wyeast 1217 if you can find it.

Mash in at 151, boil for 60min. Use bottled spring water if the water in your area is to hard. Make sure it's Spring water and NOT distilled as you want the trace minerals. You don't really need to adjust your water profile for this recipe. Do NOT use any warfloc or Irish Moss as you want the excess protein in the beer!

For your flame out hop addition (zero min) just chuck them in and whirlpool the wart for 15min before you start the chill process. Split your dry hop additions into 2 hop socks as one big as hop bag doesn't work as well.

Don't skip the flaked oats as they're critical. The white wheat and oats will add protein to your beer causing that massive haze that's all the rage right now.

Pro tip. adjust for wort loss due to the dryhops, add about .5 gal of extra water for the mash.

Last edited:
I've got a recipe that should fit the bill. It has taken me around 10 batches to get it where I like it. It will produce a Juicy AF product almost Orange Juice visually.
O.G. 1.067
F.G. 1.017
IBU's 63.9
ABV% 6.6
SRM 4

7lbs of Maris Otter (You could sub in traditional 2row)
4lbs white wheat malt
8oz flaked oats (lightly toasted in oven) 375 deg for 5 min. You can use Quaker Oats

.8oz Citra at 15min
1oz Mosaic at 15min
2oz Citra at 5min
2oz Mosaic at 5min
2oz Citra at 0
3oz Mosaic at 0
5oz Citra dry hop for 4 days
5oz Mosaic dry hop for 4 days

Yeast: I like GigaYeast Vermont IPA or Wyeast 1217 if you can find it.

Mash in at 151, boil for 60min. Use bottled spring water if the water in your area is to hard. Make sure it's Spring water and NOT distilled as you want the trace minerals. You don't really need to adjust your water profile for this recipe. Do NOT use any warfloc or Irish Moss as you want the excess protein in the beer!

For your flame out hop addition (zero min) just chuck them in and whirlpool the wart for 15min before you start the chill process. Split your dry hop additions into 2 hop socks as one big as hop bag doesn't work as well.

Don't skip the flaked oats as they're critical. The white wheat and oats will add protein to your beer causing that massive haze that's all the rage right now.

Pro tip. adjust for wort loss due to the dryhops, add about .5 gal of extra water for the mash.

Awesome!! thanks!

Absolutely. This is my next planned brew...I want to make it soon so I think I'll have to get a ferm heater. Too cold in the brew house (basement) haha! Thanks again for the recipe!

I will start looking into it!

ETA - Will the recipe you listed above work well using BIAB?

Mostly anything can be done BIAB and its a fantastic way to jump into all grain.

@Backslide thanks for the yeast tip. I've been loving Wyeast so I'll def see if I can get my hands on that one. My basement is prob sitting at around 60-63ish right now so I might be able to pull it off in a couple weeks or so.

Wow, your basement temp's are perfect for fermenting IPÀ's.Wyeast 1052 will also work well and is easy to find.

Wow, your basement temp's are perfect for fermenting IPÀ's.Wyeast 1052 will also work well and is easy to find.

I get a lot of my supplies from Northern Brewer. Alway been super satisfied with their service. They didn't have the Wyeast 1217 in stock nor do they carry the Vermont, so I went with Omega DIPA, fits right into the right temp range. We'll see!

I'll keep you all posted on the results.