• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O Canonazo, DEC 2016

MaxG

I've been a fan of Johnny-O cigars since I first tried one last year. I picked up a couple samplers from John (which I highly recommend) and tried some different sizes.

I had my first Canonazo recently. The wrapper was beautiful, slightly oily, and dark (sorry, no pics) and I was excited to see what this would offer. I was not disappointed. I typically don't smoke cigars this big ( 5 7/8 x 52 ) but finally had/made the time for one.

The pre-light aroma was rich tobacco. I don't know how to describe it other than that, but it was very pleasant. The first third was nice from the start, and gained intensity slowly but steadily as I progressed. The burn and construction were perfect.

The second third brought more leather, dark spice, and a more pronounced cedar woodiness. Very rich and full, but not harsh or sharp.

The cigar finished with a gradual but near-continuous amplification and sharpening definition of the flavors experienced before. The development was expected, having smoked John's cigars before, but still remarkable and laudable in a cigar this young. Note: this was from
a sampler I received in December.

In summary, these are highly recommended. What I can't tell you about these cigars is how they smoke aged, as I haven't had that pleasure. I have several bundles that I have intention to age, but haven't as yet been able to keep my mitts off them for any appreciable amount of time.

Pick up a sampler or other bundle soon if you haven't tried one lately. Enjoy!

Thanks for the review. I have one Johnny O that I was gifted by a generous BOTL here, but have yet to try it. Going to Cuba in a week and will be bringing back some Customs, so I should definitely try his before I head down.

Hope you have/had a great trip! I had one of John's Presidentes this weekend which was equally splendid.

- MG