After moving the forums to the root of CigarPass.com, some images appear broken. Please check your signatures, posts, etc to ensure your embedded images are correctly showing. If not, you may need to update the image path location.

Johnny-O Canonazo, DEC 2016

Discussion in 'Cigar Reviews' started by MaxG, Mar 27, 2017.

1. MaxG

MaxG New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I've been a fan of Johnny-O cigars since I first tried one last year. I picked up a couple samplers from John (which I highly recommend) and tried some different sizes.

I had my first Canonazo recently. The wrapper was beautiful, slightly oily, and dark (sorry, no pics) and I was excited to see what this would offer. I was not disappointed. I typically don't smoke cigars this big ( 5 7/8 x 52 ) but finally had/made the time for one.

The pre-light aroma was rich tobacco. I don't know how to describe it other than that, but it was very pleasant. The first third was nice from the start, and gained intensity slowly but steadily as I progressed. The burn and construction were perfect.

The second third brought more leather, dark spice, and a more pronounced cedar woodiness. Very rich and full, but not harsh or sharp.

The cigar finished with a gradual but near-continuous amplification and sharpening definition of the flavors experienced before. The development was expected, having smoked John's cigars before, but still remarkable and laudable in a cigar this young. Note: this was from
    a sampler I received in December.

In summary, these are highly recommended. What I can't tell you about these cigars is how they smoke aged, as I haven't had that pleasure. I have several bundles that I have intention to age, but haven't as yet been able to keep my mitts off them for any appreciable amount of time.

Pick up a sampler or other bundle soon if you haven't tried one lately. Enjoy!

2. Corneighdo

Corneighdo Corneighdo

Nov 17, 2016
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the review. I have one Johnny O that I was gifted by a generous BOTL here, but have yet to try it. Going to Cuba in a week and will be bringing back some Customs, so I should definitely try his before I head down.

3. MaxG

MaxG New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Hope you have/had a great trip! I had one of John's Presidentes this weekend which was equally splendid.

- MG

Corneighdo likes this.