• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O! Salomones MAY08 (2nd Review)

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I did a group buy on a bundle of these back in May of 08 and decided to pull one out and see how they’re coming along. The wrapper is a dark brown in color and still very oily with prominent patchwork veins running the length. I can hear crunchiness as I squeeze the cigar whereas I remember they were quite spongy when first received. I clip the head at an angle and find a perfect draw with a very good, sweet tobacco taste coming through.

With the small tapered foot lit, I take a number of quick puffs in intervals to get the burn going good and hopefully stay straight. It does start going to one side, so I do small touch-ups. In my first draw there’s a mild spiciness that comes through with the smoke a good medium strength, feeling somewhat oily and thick on the palate. Flavors are incredibly rich right from the start with tastes of cocoa, toasted nuts, and dark earth with a very good twang. The finish is lasting and lip smacking good.

A third in and I continue to do small touch-ups to ensure the burn stays straight. The forming ash is a medium to dark gray and holds strong until tapped off at about an inch or so leaving a slight cone. Good medium strength smoke is flowing well through the perfect draw with a mild spice on the back of the throat and flavors remaining rich. There’s an incredibly lasting finish on the palate after exhaling, simply delicious.

I have to admit, heading through the halfway mark into the final third, I start feeling a bit woozy. Not from the strength/power in the cigar, but what I’m assuming is possibly the amount of nicotine. Whew! I didn’t eat anything this morning either, which I’m sure is a factor as well. Luckily I do have a full cup of coffee with sugar and cream, which is pairing very nicely with the smoke by the way. The burn is doing quite well, not requiring any touch-up at halfway in, however the ash falls off on its own right before I snap a pic. Flavors continue to be incredibly rich with that twang I really enjoy in a cigar. The smoke seems to be transitioning from a medium to almost full as I head into the final third with the spiciness seeming to pick up a notch as well. I’m very much enjoying this cigar!

The final third definitely brings more strength to the table, and I find myself having to go a bit slower with my draws. Spice is really tingling the nostrils as I exhale, not a powerful tingle but just right. Flavors are strong on the palate with dark roasted nuts and earth becoming quite prominent, sweet cocoa is there but has taken a back seat to the other flavors. Still, an incredibly delicious smoke with lasting, fantastic finish.

These cigars have really transformed from when I first received them IMO. I do feel that they still have a ways to go, and can’t wait to pull out another in a year or so to see where they’re at. I’ve always enjoyed John’s cigars as they are a very good fit for my palate and if the opportunity arises, I highly recommend picking up a couple bundles, one to smoke and one to put back for a few years. Thanks John for such awesome smokes!

10-25-09JOSalomones001.jpg

DSC02464.jpg

10-25-09JOSalomones002.jpg

DSC02487.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02456.jpg

DSC02451.jpg

Another great review. I've got some of these from this year resting in my humidor. I've been waiting to try them until I have the time to devote to proper enjoyment. With winter just around the corner it may be next spring... Oh well, glad to hear they are aging well!

Great review! I really like these cigars. Most I have had did have some burn issues, but they were not that bad. Definately worth it slight burn issues for the flavor.

Ken

I have been hoping to see a ggroup buy on Johnny-O's come up so I can finally get my hands on one!
Great review as always Greg!
thumbs-up.gif

Nice review! The only one of these I have smoked was a gift from my SS last year. I can totally relate to the richness and tang remarks. I totally enjoyed the one I tried.

After reading this review I decided to set fire to the JO Baby Solomon that I had sitting in my humidor staring at me. Boy am I glad I did. Aside from some early burn issues, that thing was great. Nubbed it. I can't wait till these have a year or two on them! The one I had reminded me very much of a Monte #2. Great stuff!

Thanks for another great review Greg! You got me hooked on Johnny O's last year (and I'm grateful!). Guess I'll have to hunt down a few salamones.

Nice review Greg! I might have to revisit these now, as they were real real young last year when I first tried em. Might enjoy one this coming weekend!

Don

Nice review Greg! I might have to revisit these now, as they were real real young last year when I first tried em. Might enjoy one this coming weekend!

Don

There you are! I was wondering if you'd post as I know you were one of the GB members for these very same sticks. They're smokin' pretty darn good my friend! Hope all is well with ya brother!

Nice review Greg. We had a rare mild night in Jersey last week, so I broke open a bundle of these I picked up about a year ago as a treat for our weekly poker night. They've mellowed very nicely, no more "green" flavors. I didn't quite get the strength you got, but the flavors were all right on, these are great smokes as usual.

Dsav101...please post more. I love your avatar!!!!

Greg, great review as always. The one Johnny-O (CE) I had was AMAZING! I recommmend them to anyone...buying, trading, smoking, whatever!! Thanks again, Greg.

Derek

Hoping to get a couple of these soon! :) Thanks for the review.