• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Gran Reserva Robusto

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
After doing a thorough cleaning of my wineadors, I kept out this JDN to have with coffee this morning. A huge thanks to Dave (Davela) for hitting me with a very nice bomb this past week, which had some very nice cigars including this one, and a note stating it had at least five years of down time. I did a little research and from what I’ve read, this is a powerhouse of a cigar, however with this much age, I figured the power may have mellowed. We shall see!

Nice and chilly out this morning, temperature in the mid thirties, however plenty of sunshine that feels really good. Holding the cigar in the sunlight, the dark brown wrapper glistens with oil and has a couple of prominent veins running the length. It’s quite heavy in the hand, is a bit lumpy, however very firm when squeezed. I punch the cap with the largest ring on my knife and find the draw has perfect resistance with a dark, earthy tobacco taste coming through.

I take my time torching the foot, getting a nice, even burn, and then take a few puffs to get the smoke flowing well. My first good draw brings a medium black pepper spice on the back of the tongue and throat, however not overpowering at all, with the smoke itself definitely full strength, yet quite smooth over the palate. There’s a deep, rich earthiness in the flavor with sweetened cocoa, dark roasted nut, and a somewhat lasting finish left on the palate.

Through the first third and into halfway, the burn is sharp with a medium gray ash forming and full strength smoke flows well through the perfect draw. The spice is now a low medium, just right on the tongue and throat. Flavors are rich and very good with dark earth being most prominent, the finish semi-lasting.

As I head into the final third, I can definitely say this cigar would probably be more suited for after having a large meal. Luckily my tolerance is high, and I enjoy full strength cigars, however I can imagine this would do some serious damage to someone just getting into cigars. My head is saying put it down, however my taste buds say no as I’ve hit what I feel is the sweet spot with the flavors intensifying to incredibly rich with a long, lasting finish. With that however, the strength and spice too has intensified making me slightly woozy, but in a god way.

I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar as it performed perfectly throughout with sharp burn, perfect draw, and rich, dark flavors of earth and leather with just the right amount of sweetness in the finish. Many thanks Dave for the opportunity to smoke an excellent cigar!

02-28-10JDNGranReserva001.jpg

02-28-10JDNGranReserva002.jpg

As always great review. I had one of these in the past month and enjoyed it. Mine was in the evening so the tummy gods were kind to me. Photos are wonderful.

All in all, good to see the cigar and your review.

Last fall I had one of these in the Machido (Petit Corona) size. Only I made the mistake of smoking it while walking the dog (about a 2 mile walk) and was definitely feeling it afterward.

Great review Greg!

This series from JDN is my favorite and one I enjoy smoking. The Gran Reserva is a little more refined version on the standard cigar and worth finding.

Great review as always, thanks for sharing!

I blame tony-ny for getting me into these. I have a 1/3 of a box of the grand consul left. Great ciger.

DG

After doing a thorough cleaning of my wineadors, I kept out this JDN to have with coffee this morning. A huge thanks to Dave (Davela) for hitting me with a very nice bomb this past week, which had some very nice cigars including this one, and a note stating it had at least five years of down time. I did a little research and from what I’ve read, this is a powerhouse of a cigar, however with this much age, I figured the power may have mellowed. We shall see!

Nice and chilly out this morning, temperature in the mid thirties, however plenty of sunshine that feels really good. Holding the cigar in the sunlight, the dark brown wrapper glistens with oil and has a couple of prominent veins running the length. It’s quite heavy in the hand, is a bit lumpy, however very firm when squeezed. I punch the cap with the largest ring on my knife and find the draw has perfect resistance with a dark, earthy tobacco taste coming through.

I take my time torching the foot, getting a nice, even burn, and then take a few puffs to get the smoke flowing well. My first good draw brings a medium black pepper spice on the back of the tongue and throat, however not overpowering at all, with the smoke itself definitely full strength, yet quite smooth over the palate. There’s a deep, rich earthiness in the flavor with sweetened cocoa, dark roasted nut, and a somewhat lasting finish left on the palate.

Through the first third and into halfway, the burn is sharp with a medium gray ash forming and full strength smoke flows well through the perfect draw. The spice is now a low medium, just right on the tongue and throat. Flavors are rich and very good with dark earth being most prominent, the finish semi-lasting.

As I head into the final third, I can definitely say this cigar would probably be more suited for after having a large meal. Luckily my tolerance is high, and I enjoy full strength cigars, however I can imagine this would do some serious damage to someone just getting into cigars. My head is saying put it down, however my taste buds say no as I’ve hit what I feel is the sweet spot with the flavors intensifying to incredibly rich with a long, lasting finish. With that however, the strength and spice too has intensified making me slightly woozy, but in a god way.

I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar as it performed perfectly throughout with sharp burn, perfect draw, and rich, dark flavors of earth and leather with just the right amount of sweetness in the finish. Many thanks Dave for the opportunity to smoke an excellent cigar!

02-28-10JDNGranReserva001.jpg

02-28-10JDNGranReserva002.jpg

Nice review as usual,and thanks to Tone-ny for these also.I love those photos. Dave

Nice I like them a lot I also enjoy the lancero :thumbs: :cool:

This smoke would have floored me in the morning Greg. Damn, you stuff muffin. :love: