• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor Dominicana Cabinet Maduro Toro 2006

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
After fixing a fresh cup of coffee, I head out the back door with an LFD Cabinet Maduro received from David (Azoetia) a little while back. It’s a beautiful day out, clear blue sky and plenty of sunshine, however it’s quite cold with a blustery wind blowing, strong gusts swaying the tree tops back and forth. I inspect the cigar in the bright sunlight and notice a good amount of tooth in the oily, dark maduro wrapper with slightly prominent veins running throughout. It feels a little light in the hand, has a slight give when squeezed, and decent bunching in the foot. I go ahead and use the smallest ring on my knife to punch a whole in the cap, which is very thick, just in case the draw is too loose. However, I find a good resistance, so use the largest ring to punch out the cap which opens it up perfectly with a straightforward tobacco taste in the cold draw.

I torch the foot slowly, blowing on the embers to get an even burn, then take several quick puffs to get the smoke flowing. In my first good draw, I get a mild to medium pepper spice on the back of the tongue and throat with the smoke itself rather mild to not quite medium. Flavors are rich, and I can taste the sweet raisin flavor from the maduro wrapper that has a lasting finish.

As I get further in, the burn starts going to one side with the medium gray ash looking a bit “messy” where the fire is running. The wrapper is very thick and burning slow, however good mild to medium strength smoke is flowing well through the perfect draw with very good flavor of sweet raisin and cedar wood. There’s a lasting finish after exhaling slowly through the mouth and nose, good spice is still hitting the back of the throat.

Through the first third and into halfway, the burn runs to one side, and I have to touch-up the cigar at each third. I’m having to take a number of puffs before each draw to get a good amount of smoke through, however when it does come through I find it quite enjoyable having a perfect mild to medium strength with the body seemingly light on the palate. Flavors are consistent with a rather sweet taste and simply good, straightforward tobacco coming through in the finish.

Into the final third, I do one more touch-up as the burn makes a run for it again, however stays even for the balance of the smoke. This was a very good cigar that I thoroughly enjoyed. Even with the burn issues, I still got more than enough mild to medium strength smoke that was somewhat rich and smooth with consistent, sweet raisin flavor on the lasting finish. Many thanks David for the opportunity to give the LFD Cabinet Maduro a second try.

02-10-10LFDCabMad005.jpg

02-10-10LFDCabMad001.jpg

02-10-10LFDCabMad002.jpg

02-10-10LFDCabMad003.jpg

02-10-10LFDCabMad004.jpg

Great review for an outstanding cigar.

The cabinet maduro is the least produced cigar from LFD. I have some on backorder from 08 if my memory serves me correctly.

If you see them at a shop buy them

The only herf I have been to was given by La Flor. Since that introduction I must admit they are a fine cigar. Will look for this little wonder and anticipate a great smoke.

Greg, I am glad you had a better experience with this cigar the second time around - I wanted you to try one more before writing them off since it is a pretty nice cigar, in my opinion. These cigars are notorious for having burn issues due to the dense and oily wrapper but when they are on, the flavor is pretty solid. I have been told that Litto hand picks the wrappers for this line. They don't get a lot of "press" and quite a few shops don't carry them. I am lucky enough to have a few local shops that carry them. I don't recall, but I think the cigar you smoked had some time under its belt and thus smoothed out a bit. I always enjoy your reviews, keep up the great work!

Very distinct wrapper color! Thanks for the review Greg.