• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor Dominicana Ligero Mysterio Oscuro

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s definitely beautiful out with lots of sun and blue sky with fluffs of white clouds lazily floating by. There’s a nice breeze blowing, however the smell from the turkey poop is still lingering, although nowhere near as bad. What’s really bad is the flies and “no see ‘ems”, tiny little orange colored bugs that sting like fire. I tried to sit out under the walnut tree, however made my way back to the porch after a few minutes of pure stinging, stinking torture.

The cigar I brought out with me is a La Flor Dominicana Mysterio Oscuro, one that I’ve had in the humi for a very long time, and have had on my mind ever since I smoked the LFD Outlaw a couple weeks ago. This Mysterio has the old LFD band, actually have some with the newer band that are a bit oilier than this one, not that this one doesn’t have a good bit of oiliness to it. The wrapper is smooth and shiny with small web like veins throughout and one prominent running the length. It’s very firm and has excellent construction, a beautifully wrapped pigtail cap, and the foot is wrapped with about an inch of natural tobacco. After clipping off a small piece of the head, the wrapper immediately starts to unravel, however a good moistening fixes it right up. I test the draw and air flows through well enough, however it’s difficult to tell just how well it will be with the small, tapered foot.

I put fire to the cigar, take a couple puffs, then a long, slow draw. There’s a perfect amount of mild, peppery spice on the tongue and throat, the smoke medium in strength. The flavor is incredibly rich as the natural wrapper on the foot burns with a copious amount of smoke rolling from the fire. I’m very impressed with the richness of the smooth smoke coming through and am curious if it will continue once the burn reaches the darker tobacco. I find the finish is delicious and lasting on the palate.

Unfortunately, the richness is short lived. Once the burn reaches the darker tobacco, the flavors turn more towards a mere straightforward tobacco taste, actually has a slight bitterness on the palate. The spice continues to be on the mild side with the strength remaining medium, and the smoke is no longer flowing as well as in the first inch. I take the Palio and clip off approximately a quarter inch from the head, which helps to open the draw up a bit more.

Through the first third and into halfway, the burn is sharp enough with a medium ash forming that holds well until tapped off. I’m just not getting that same richness as I did in the first inch, shame that the natural tobacco didn’t last longer I’m thinking. I actually have a couple of natural Mysterio left in the humi and am hoping that maybe they will actually have that richness throughout the smoke.

On into the final third, the strength and spice both pick up to almost a full, quite strong on the palate, and the flavor did seem to kick up a notch as well becoming a bit richer. This was definitely an interesting cigar with it’s figurado shape and spring like pigtail cap. I’ll have to put fire to one of the newer Mysterio to see if I have the same experience with the flavors.

05-19-10LFDMysterio001.jpg

05-19-10LFDMysterio002.jpg

Great review as usual! I have always been curious to try this cigar. Do you plan on smoking the natural wrapper mysterio any time soon? I am curious to see you compare it to the oscuro.

Thanks,

Brian

I've tried one of these and remember being disappointed. It might have been expectations. I guess I figure a special cigar should be special, but it just didn't seem to have much taste from what I remember.

Great review as usual! I have always been curious to try this cigar. Do you plan on smoking the natural wrapper mysterio any time soon? I am curious to see you compare it to the oscuro.

Thanks,

Brian

I'll try and get that natural smoked this evening.