• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor Dominicana Limitado IV

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s definitely a hot one today with the temperature gauge reading right around 95F, yet there’s a decent breeze blowing so it doesn’t feel that hot. I can hear a storm brewing way off in the distance with a low rumbling every so often, hoping it comes this way. I smoked an LFD Limitado III yesterday evening and really enjoyed it, so thought I’d give the Limitado IV a try today.

The first thing I notice is how much more oil is in the Nicaraguan Oscuro wrapper than was on the Ecuadorian Sumatra of the III, and the ring gauge is slightly smaller as well as the length slightly shorter. There’s a significant difference in the bands as this one has the letters LFD across the front with La Flor Dominicana spelled out between the double-bands. The III has a flower on the front (anyone know what that flower is?) and no La Flor Dominicana spelled out. I like the way the dark burgundy blends out to black around the LFD on this one, yet I like the other as well.

While holding the cigar close to my ear, I squeeze it softly to find it quite firm and can hear a nice crunchiness. There’s a very solid weight in the hand with the Dominican blended tobaccos in the foot bunched well. Is that dark, almost black colored tobacco I see in the foot ligero? I wonder. Sniffing the foot I get a sweet smell of what seems like citrus and raisin mixed. Once the well-constructed cap is opened up, I find an absolutely perfect draw with what tastes like raisin bran coming through. Time to put fire to this cigar.

Blue smoke is rolling from the foot as glowing orange embers form from my torch. Once I’ve got the burn good and even, I take a few good puffs and then a slow, long draw. Strong black pepper spice on the back of the throat, with the smoke full-bodied at the start and tastes of dark leather and oak wood coming through. I’m not finding the rich oiliness in the smoke as I did with the III, however it’s still leaving a nice finish of straightforward tobacco on the palate that is rather short.

The burn is sharp with a strong, dark gray ash forming and the draw is perfect, allowing an ample amount of smoke to flow through. After about a half-inch or so, the strong black pepper spice mellows a bit and flavors continue as before with what I believe to be hints of cocoa and some dark roasted nuts as well. The body is still a good full strength and is making my head swim a bit, which I like. The finish is starting to become more lasting on the palate, yet I’m still not getting that richness that I found in the Limitado III.

Through the middle of the cigar, flavors became that of a straightforward tobacco. I’m still not getting that rich oiliness in the smoke, however it’s still quite good on the palate. The smoke itself is full-bodied with a lot of power behind it, my head swimming quite a bit. With the burn sharp and dark gray ash holding strong, I continue on and getting down to around the last third, it seems a sweet spot is hit as a richness does start to come through that is quite good. Flavors pick up and a nice twang is there with the finish now lasting well after exhaling. As I go to pull the band off, I realize it’s actually one single band instead of the usual double.

This cigar performed well with a sharp burn, perfect draw, and good body, however I think it’s still young yet, still needs time to let the tobacco settle and blend in. I’ve a feeling that with proper storage and a good year or more of down time this will turn out to be a fine smoke.

06-26-09LFDLimitadoIV001.jpg

06-26-09LFDLimitadoIV002.jpg

06-26-09LFDLimitadoIV003.jpg

06-26-09LFDLimitadoIV004.jpg

Nice review Greg! I had this in my hand to smoke tonight and at the last second chose something else. After reading your review I'm letting it sit for awhile.

While these are very good cigars, I don't think the IV is anywhere as good as the III.

While these are very good cigars, I don't think the IV is anywhere as good as the III.

Not yet.....I think they will be better than the III in the future. That was a GREAT review Greg. It was great to see you review both of them around the same time.

I'm torn. I love the III. the 4 has a bit more giddy up
which I like as well.

I love them both.