• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo No. 4 Reserva

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
A storm came through earlier this afternoon that cooled things down considerably and made it a perfect evening for a smoke. I chose a Montecristo No. 4 Reserva that I got a fiver of not long ago. The wrapper was smooth with a caramel brown color and a triple cap on top. It was very light in the hand giving me reason to think that it may have been a bit under filled, however the foot showed good bunching and the cigar was firm when squeezed. I punched the head and pre-draw was indeed quite loose.

I put fire to the foot and a good volume of smoke was produced. Delicious from the get go with loads of earth and leather with a rich dark cocoa undertone. Hints of cedar and a perfect spice on the back of the throat. From what I’ve read, this tobacco was aged 3 years, and it definitely tasted as such. Incredibly rich tobacco flavor with a magnificently long finish came through.

The loose finish tightened every so slightly as the cigar warmed, which was good. I found it to have a medium strength bordering on full, just right for me. The burn was razor sharp with a dark gray ash forming, still volumes of smoke coming through. Rich earth tastes with leather, cedar, possibly a hint of fruit following.

Mosquitoes are out and about; one gets me on the forearm and itches like mad. Bastage. Hate those things. The animals join me at my feet, relaxing and enjoying the evening. Cicadas sing in unison in the trees, quite loudly and frogs chirping somewhere behind me. Yes, nice relaxing evening it is.

The slight tightening of the draw only lasts so long and the cigar really becomes quite loose. Very unfortunate, however the smoke is still fantastic with slow, short draws. The ash falls about every 1/3” and the burn stays sharp. Rich earth stays predominant throughout with leather following. I’ll have to say there was some harshness towards the end, I believe primarily due to the looseness and heat build up.

A fantastic smoke for a wonderful evening.

08-06-08MonteNo4Reserva01.jpg

08-06-08MonteNo4Reserva.jpg

08-06-08MonteNo4Reserva03.jpg

08-06-08Imported075.jpg

08-06-08MonteNo4Reserva05.jpg

08-06-08MonteNo4Reserva06.jpg

08-06-08Imported071.jpg

08-06-08Imported072.jpg

Greg fantastic review again and great pictures, I am sure you didnt want this smoke to end

Nice review. Pen's laughing at your ash pictures. :sign: :laugh:

edit: spelling

Very nice, as usual Greg... All those pics are missing is the smoke. Add that and it's like we're all there with ya!

Regards,

BT

Thanks for another fantastic review, Greg. I've been wondering how these are, since there aren't many reviews around. Looks like a great special occasion smoke. :thumbs:

Thanks for the review, Greg. I've been wanting to light one up as well. This weekend may be my time.

Ah man, I have two of these and was hoping to save them for a special event but this just makes me want to torch one haha. Very nice review.

I have to stop reading all of these reviews. I always end up wanting to buy more. :rolleyes:

I have one question, though. Did you find these to be significantly different in flavor from an aged Monte No. 3, 4, or 5? Habanos S.A. touts these as being aged for three years, but so is a Monte No. 4 from 2005. ???

I have to stop reading all of these reviews. I always end up wanting to buy more. :rolleyes:

I have one question, though. Did you find these to be significantly different in flavor from an aged Monte No. 3, 4, or 5? Habanos S.A. touts these as being aged for three years, but so is a Monte No. 4 from 2005. ???

Although I wouldn’t say there’s a significant difference, I do believe that the Reserva had a richer blend as compared to the regular No. 4. Unfortunately, it’s been a while since I’ve had a regular No. 4 and am trying to recall from memory the taste. It would be interesting to smoke the Reserva and regular No. 4 closely together to review the difference.

Although I wouldn't say there's a significant difference, I do believe that the Reserva had a richer blend as compared to the regular No. 4. Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've had a regular No. 4 and am trying to recall from memory the taste. It would be interesting to smoke the Reserva and regular No. 4 closely together to review the difference.

It's nice to see that there is at least some difference in blend between the two smokes. Even if they are similar, smoking one of these is for the experience, and quality to price ratio isn't the top priority.

Greg, you can't dress that way and expect people not to notice!! :p

Great review again, it sounds like a nice relaxing smoke.

Nice review, BTW, I noticed you do not have the proper padding nor cage around the trampoline in the picture. Don't you have the children's safety in mind.....just think of the endless possibilities of bad things that could happen to them if they fully protected in their protective bubbles. :laugh: Mine trampoline looks just like yours and some neighbors will not let thier children on our trampoline, which is just fine with me.

Nice review, BTW, I noticed you do not have the proper padding nor cage around the trampoline in the picture. Don't you have the children's safety in mind.....just think of the endless possibilities of bad things that could happen to them if they fully protected in their protective bubbles. :laugh: Mine trampoline looks just like yours and some neighbors will not let thier children on our trampoline, which is just fine with me.

We don't have neighbors. :D Baby girl doesn't get on it as it's pretty nasty. Touch it and black smudge gets all over ya. I probably do need to get rid of it, especially since the springs are kinda rusty.

We don't have neighbors. :D Baby girl doesn't get on it as it's pretty nasty. Touch it and black smudge gets all over ya. I probably do need to get rid of it, especially since the springs are kinda rusty.

That's from all the stogie smoke. Don't you know cigars are bad for you? ???