• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My DIY Kegerator

Eshaw99

Just livin' the dream
So a buddy of mine was getting rid of an old side-by-side fridge and offered it to me for free to use as a beer fridge. I had been thinking about getting a kegerator, so since I was getting a free fridge I started researching kegerator conversion kits. I figured if I screwed up the fridge I wouldn't be out any money anyway. I used this kit that I found on Amazon. Figuring in the CO2 tank which was not included, my total investment was less than $250.

This was surprisingly easy to do. The coolant lines are in the side of the fridge, so as long as you are drilling through the front for the taps you're fine. I decided to go with a dual tap kit after determining that you can fit two 1/6 barrels along with the CO2 tank inside the fridge. The freezer side works great for keeping glasses.

The cool part of doing this with a side-by-side is that I still have room for shelves to store additional cans and bottles.

Very nice. I have a keezer (keg freezer) at home that I use for a kegerator. I will have to take a few pics of it when I get home.

Thought about it, but I travel so much for work I don't know that it would be feasible for me to do it.
It all depends on how long you are gone for travel. I started brewing about 2 years ago (I don't travel for work). If you brew using extract recipes, you can get the brew done in an afternoon, and into primary fermentation that same day. Typically a brew will sit for about a week in primary fermentation, then will transfer to secondary for a week or so. During primary fermentation you really only need to monitor until the yeast starts to activate, then it's pretty close to auto-pilot.

During primary fermentation you really only need to monitor until the yeast starts to activate, then it's pretty close to auto-pilot.
This is true. I did have a holiday ale bubble the top off my primary once. The little airlock couldn't handle all the fermentation. Thankfully not a big mess and I was able to save the batch. I haven't made any in a while. Might have to change that.

This is true. I did have a holiday ale bubble the top off my primary once. The little airlock couldn't handle all the fermentation. Thankfully not a big mess and I was able to save the batch. I haven't made any in a while. Might have to change that.

I have had that happen too. I changed from an air lock to a blow off tube for all my primary fermentation now, even for low alcohol brews. Blow off tubes are super easy, you just need an airlock and some 1/2" clear tubing. Put on end of the tubing over the inner nipple of the airlock, then the other end in a bucket of water. The tube will allow any pressure to easily escape from the airlock and won't clog and cause explosions.

That's almost exactly what I did. I just bypassed that airlock altogether and stuck the tube into the hole in the top of the fermenter. I like he idea of using the airlock with the blow off tube though.

Well now you boys have got me thinking. I've never done it before so I may need a little help in figuring out what I need and what to do.