• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need a new Scotch

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
So, The Balvenie 12 Double Wood is my favourite and my go-to Scotch.

While in Scotland, I had some Auchentoshan 3 Wood, not a fan, tasted like a BBQ pit to me.
I also had Macallan, and it was good, I liked it, just not as much as my Double Wood. I have tried Jura a while back and don't remember being a fan, Also had the Dalmore 12, and I remember it being a little "harsh", but at the time I tried both it and the Jura I was very new to drinking any sort of straight whiskey.

I know there is a knowledgable and wise Brother out there that could help me pick my next bottle... ( @AVB )

Thanks

Tim

Tim you are correct, Ray is the font of information when it comes to spirits.

What I usually sip is Oban 14, price is reasonable and is available everywhere.

Mine would be Glenfiddich 15. I would recommend trying a dram of various offerings at your favorite watering hole.
There's also Lagavulin 16 but it's pretty smokey.

Mine would be Glenfiddich 15. I would recommend trying a dram of various offerings at your favorite watering hole.
There's also Lagavulin 16 but it's pretty smokey.
I'll second this. Around here we have a place called Lizardville, it's a whisky bar. But AVB is the guru of spirits he's recommended a few scotches for my scotch noob palate.

Unless you enjoy giving money away to the Scottish Utopia, I suggest good old American Rye. It's not quite as complex as scotch, but it's not bad, cost less and is made in the USA. There's a lot of brands and prices to fit your budget to choose from.

Doc

Unless you enjoy giving money away to the Scottish Utopia, I suggest good old American Rye. It's not quite as complex as scotch, but it's not bad, cost less and is made in the USA. There's a lot of brands and prices to fit your budget to choose from.

Doc

I am just about to start exploring these as well.
Edit to add: Russel's Reserve Single Barrel Rye is on my short list to get

Tim

Last edited:
So, The Balvenie 12 Double Wood is my favourite and my go-to Scotch.

While in Scotland, I had some Auchentoshan 3 Wood, not a fan, tasted like a BBQ pit to me.
I also had Macallan, and it was good, I liked it, just not as much as my Double Wood. I have tried Jura a while back and don't remember being a fan, Also had the Dalmore 12, and I remember it being a little "harsh", but at the time I tried both it and the Jura I was very new to drinking any sort of straight whiskey.

I know there is a knowledgable and wise Brother out there that could help me pick my next bottle... ( @AVB )

Thanks

Tim
Look for an Aberlour or Glendronach 12 or 15 if keeping with Scotch or Rittenhouse or Highwest Rye if going in that direction.

AVB

Can I go with one of each?????

Second Ray's recommendation on the Glendronach---the 15 is, hands down, my favorite Scotch. Not necessarily the BEST Scotch I've ever tasted, but the one that hits all the right notes for me in a semi-affordable and somewhat available dram.

I'd also recommend trying Benriach's amazing range. Their "no age listed" Spirit of Speyside is very nice and super affordable, but my favorite among their regular offerings is the Tawny Port Cask. Gods that stuff is sublime!

~Boar

I too like the Balvanie 12 double wood. Another dram I frequently drink is the Glenmorangie original. It has a floral nose which transfers to the pallette. Somewhat of a dried prune aftertaste. It's also smooth for a whisky in the $50-75 price range.

If you're ok with spending $150+, the Glenmorangie 18 is superb. My favorite to date. It keeps with the floral nose and pallette and adds a slight hint of peat. I mean, slight (which is as much as I like). A very well rounded dram. My mouth is watering now...

Anyways, I hope this helps.

All great suggestions. Aberlour and Glendronach are awesome (I'd recommend Aberlour 12 or 16 to a newb over the A'bunadh), as is Glenmorangie. I might add Cragganmore to the mix.

Look for an Aberlour or Glendronach 12 or 15 if keeping with Scotch or Rittenhouse or Highwest Rye if going in that direction.

AVB

I've have a bottle of this (Revival) purchased from one of your GBs about 5-6 (I think??) years back. I just had it in my hand an hour ago as I may crack it at a pig roast tomorrow...they'll be some good scotch drinkers there.

I was trying to figure out what year it was bottled. I also read that the early offerings of GlenDronach from Billy Walker were supposedly older that what they were labeled...any truth to this?

Last edited:
All great suggestions. Aberlour and Glendronach are awesome (I'd recommend Aberlour 12 or 16 to a newb over the A'bunadh), as is Glenmorangie. I might add Cragganmore to the mix.

All great choices. I'm a Highland Park 18 guy as my go to. I also enjoy Dalwhinnie 15 as a lighter tasting scotch. Like Khari mentioned, the Cragganmore scotches are worth their price...especially the Distiller's Edition scotches, the 1992 being my fav. The Oban 14 that Anthony mentioned is another great single malt. You couldn't go wrong with any of these recommendations.

I was trying to figure out what year it was bottled. I also read that the early offerings of GlenDronach from Billy Walker were supposedly older that what they were labeled...any truth to this?

Not that anyone will admit to but there are some that seem to be older. It happens all the time in the better spirits. I've had Balvenie 15 that was just short of 19 years old for example.

If you like the Balvenie, I've been greatly enjoying their "Caribbean Cask" lately...

Tomintoul 10 year old is a great value. If you get a bottle, pour a drink, if your not impressed, I'll buy it from you.

Hope all is well my friend, it's been awhile.