• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Pass 101

It looks like there are a few other participants in New England, and I will be the first stop there so we will have to organize a hand off as well and perhaps a smoke in the process... :whistling: It looks like the next person is somewhere in MA. Sounds like fun to me.

It looks like there are a few other participants in New England, and I will be the first stop there so we will have to organize a hand off as well and perhaps a smoke in the process... :whistling: It looks like the next person is somewhere in MA. Sounds like fun to me.

Hey Mark,

Looks like I'm right after you in the pass. Im up in northern central MA, near Fitchburg. Not sure how far from you that is, but I'd be down to meet up and hand off the pass. I'm sure we'll be able to work something out. Should be a fun experience!

_craig_

Hey Mark,

Looks like I'm right after you in the pass. Im up in northern central MA, near Fitchburg. Not sure how far from you that is, but I'd be down to meet up and hand off the pass. I'm sure we'll be able to work something out. Should be a fun experience!

_craig_

Craig I belive I am after you and would be cool with doing a hand off and grab a smoke somewhere in MA! I am right on the boader of MA on 93.

Hey Mark,

_craig_

Craig I belive I am after you and would be cool with doing a hand off and grab a smoke somewhere in MA! I am right on the boader of MA on 93.

Awesome! that's right on my way home from work, that'd be a great time! We can discuss it more when it gets closer.

_craig_

If nothing other than getting to meet a couple other CPers comes from this pass, it will be worth it. Very excited.

Jake, I know I do not qualify due to my post count, but with your approval I would like to join this pass. I have traded with several members here in the recent past and would be more than happy to give you a list. No problem if I need to sit this one out, but I had to ask.

Sure, you can play...you've been around long enough, have the trades under your belt...I'd consider you active. I need you to send me your address and phone #.

The bags came in today (man, what a steal!). We will definitely be underway and on the road toward the beginning of next week. Cigar list is final. I will give ilikefishes through the weekend to send me his information. If I don't have it Monday morning, he will be removed from the pass. The reason I won't pm him is he needs to be regularly checking the pass....after all, the purpose is to learn and read. You can't do that if you don't check-in every so often.

Thank you to everyone else, we're going to have a blast. Now I have the weekend to scheme some contest ideas....hmmm....

Jake, thanks again for putting all the work into this and for giving us the chance to participate. I'm excited to get a pass under my belt and learn the ins-and-outs of being involved in a pass.

Jake, thanks again for putting all the work into this and for giving us the chance to participate. I'm excited to get a pass under my belt and learn the ins-and-outs of being involved in a pass.

I second this...

I am very excited to get going on this! Thanks again Jake.

Paul

Hey, there's somebody in CA... we could do a hand off halfway... somewhere in western New Mexico?...shit...

You guys in the Northeast enjoy the chance to mix it up!

Thanks again Jake!

Jake, I know I do not qualify due to my post count, but with your approval I would like to join this pass. I have traded with several members here in the recent past and would be more than happy to give you a list. No problem if I need to sit this one out, but I had to ask.

Sure, you can play...you've been around long enough, have the trades under your belt...I'd consider you active. I need you to send me your address and phone #.

The bags came in today (man, what a steal!). We will definitely be underway and on the road toward the beginning of next week. Cigar list is final. I will give ilikefishes through the weekend to send me his information. If I don't have it Monday morning, he will be removed from the pass. The reason I won't pm him is he needs to be regularly checking the pass....after all, the purpose is to learn and read. You can't do that if you don't check-in every so often.

Thank you to everyone else, we're going to have a blast. Now I have the weekend to scheme some contest ideas....hmmm....

Jake, good to hear. Thanks again. I'm ready to catch the pass when it comes in. As far as puts and takes, I'll post those sometime this weekend after I've had a chance to do some research. I also plan on "showing my work"-- to ensure I'm tracking on value for value and rarity for rarity as well as spurring some educational discussion.

Hey, there's somebody in CA... we could do a hand off halfway... somewhere in western New Mexico?...shit...

You guys in the Northeast enjoy the chance to mix it up!

Thanks again Jake!

That would be me in CA. I was actually going to try and talk one of the Kansas guys into a hand off, It's only 4 states away and I would even meet then in Utah or something... :)

I've driven to Utah... that'd be a helluva herf! :whistling:

Oh, I wish I could do crazy stuff like that...

I'm going to go ahead and shut down any more participants.

All addresses are received and I will post the finalized map and order this weekend.

Thanks for letting me play Jake! :thumbs: I can't think of a better first pass to participate in. It looks like its going to be a lot of fun.

I wanted to thank Jake for putting this together as well. This is my first pass ever, so I am really nervous to not jack it up. Looking forward to it though.

Doing a bit of homework on this last night. Read and reread the OP and got stuck on this question:

Can one assign a value to a rare cigar? If yes, how? Thinking of the Felipe Gregorio here.

Not sure many of us will have a 1998 stick lurking in our humi, so if I am reading right, we could put a higher valued stick to make up for the lack of rarity?

1. Equal puts for Equal Takes…that means value for value, rarity for rarity. DO NOT pm me before you post your Puts and Takes to get my opinion on them. While that is generally acceptable in other passes, the purpose of this pass is for all participants to learn why certain trades are good, and certain trades aren't.
  • Re-read rule #1, value for value, rarity for rarity. There are also the cases where added value makes up for rarity, and vice versa. You never send a pass on to the next person in worse condition or shape than you got it. That has to do with the shape of the packaging and the value of contents. Everyone deserves the equal opportunity to trade for a nice selection, otherwise the pass is pointless. If a pass were to be raided and every cigar put in the pass was a lesser value than the cigar taken, then the individuals at the end of the pass get stuck with dog rockets, and that's not what we try to encourage.

Gern,

That's the way I'm reading it as well (someone please correct me if I'm wrong though). I don't think its necessarily assigning a particular dollar value to a rare cigar, but just realizing that the cigar is X years old and considered to be rare amongst the cigar community. Therefor, I believe that, after rereading the rules, the easiest way to go about a P/T with said cigar would be to put a cigar that equals the rarity. However, not all us noobs have cigars that can rival some of the rare cigars out there, so on a case by case basis, value could make up for rarity.

Feel free to jump in and correct me as well, still very much a noob, but this is just how I see it from the OP.

_craig_

edit: spelling

Doing a bit of homework on this last night. Read and reread the OP and got stuck on this question:

Can one assign a value to a rare cigar? If yes, how? Thinking of the Felipe Gregorio here.

Not sure many of us will have a 1998 stick lurking in our humi, so if I am reading right, we could put a higher valued stick to make up for the lack of rarity?

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=34244

Here's a number of answers to your question from some of the most experienced among us. As you will see, the common thread is; If you don't know, ask.