• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Now Playing....(Movies and Reviews)

i started this thread a while ago, and have not been to the movies since.

Trying for Star Wars and Jumanji this weekend, but first my daughter has to watch the org Jumanji

T

For those that have seen the new Star Wars....
NO SPOILERS

Did you like it?
I had mixed feelings. Parts of it I really enjoyed, but there were a few small things that I really hated. One scene nearly ruined the whole movie for me.

I took my daughter to see Jumanji last night, too. It was pretty much what I expected it to be, and we were entertained. Some nice nods to the original and Robin Williams, too. Also a few real quick inside jokes if one is paying attention, which makes it all the better.

I loved The Last Jedi and I am a Star Wars Nerd. To those that disliked it, they probably adimately hated the prequels (episodes 1-3), which I enjoyed. I appreciate what was done and where it’s headed. Some to tie it all together and some to set it apart. Can’t wait for Han Solo A Star Wars Story and Episode IX!!!

I finally watched Rogue One on Netflix the other day and enjoyed it. I'm not a HUGE Star Wars buff, but I'd go see TLJ if I had someone here to go see it with in the theater. My kids couldn't care less.

I loved The Last Jedi and I am a Star Wars Nerd. To those that disliked it, they probably adimately hated the prequels (episodes 1-3), which I enjoyed. I appreciate what was done and where it’s headed. Some to tie it all together and some to set it apart. Can’t wait for Han Solo A Star Wars Story and Episode IX!!!

While I thought the story in TLJ was great, and tied a lot of the old cannon to the new!!! Like how they are building a story for the next generation of SW Fans.
My only real issue with TLJ was it didn't seem to have the "Wow" factor that the last 2 did.

T

While I thought the story in TLJ was great, and tied a lot of the old cannon to the new!!! Like how they are building a story for the next generation of SW Fans.
My only real issue with TLJ was it didn't seem to have the "Wow" factor that the last 2 did.

T
I think it has its moments, but was definitely building up story to get us back to see episode IX in 2019.

Reactions: MX
I watched The Hateful Eight on Netflix today. I thought the movie was only a year old, but I guess it's been out two years, already. I remember really wanting to see this, and I'm not sure if I'm content or let down. It was a typical Tarantino movie, and about what I expected: semi-slow pacing, great dialogue and characters, and some violence. However, I guess I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of character development or exposition from anyone, really, but Sam Jackson and Walton Goggins's characters. It was pretty much an ensemble cast and nobody had too much real screen time. Aside from that, I guess I liked it.

Netflix movie Bright with Will Smith and Joel Edgerton...

Watch it.
Good story, good action, and some good Will Smith humor tossed in.

Don't listen to the critics, this one is entertaining.

I watched The Hateful Eight on Netflix today. I thought the movie was only a year old, but I guess it's been out two years, already. I remember really wanting to see this, and I'm not sure if I'm content or let down. It was a typical Tarantino movie, and about what I expected: semi-slow pacing, great dialogue and characters, and some violence. However, I guess I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of character development or exposition from anyone, really, but Sam Jackson and Walton Goggins's characters. It was pretty much an ensemble cast and nobody had too much real screen time. Aside from that, I guess I liked it.
I thought The Hateful Eight was far too wordy. I remember some of my film class texts stating don't write what can be shown. There were numerous moments in Hateful Eight that I thought would be better executed by action instead of character dialogue.

I thought The Hateful Eight was far too wordy. I remember some of my film class texts stating don't write what can be shown. There were numerous moments in Hateful Eight that I thought would be better executed by action instead of character dialogue.
That's the thing -- going into a Tarantino movie, you know what you are getting. I love the dialogue in Tarantino films: Sam Jackson, Tim Roth, Christoph Waltz, Harvey Keitel, now Walton Goggins (who, again, is one of my favorite actors these days), among so many others who know how to deliver a performance. If Ian McShane ever plays a significant part in a Tarantino film, I may scream like a little girl seeing The Beatles for the first time!

The only one I wasn't truly impressed by in The Hateful Eight was Kurt Russell. I do feel he could have done with less lines and more implication and inflection, but I attributed that to his character -- you just wanted him to shut up and stop being so boorish. Not sure if overacted, or acted perfectly...

Netflix movie Bright with Will Smith and Joel Edgerton...

Watch it.
Good story, good action, and some good Will Smith humor tossed in.

Don't listen to the critics, this one is entertaining.
Bright was a fun movie. Definitely reminded me of Shadowrun, the late 80s/early 90s role playing game.

With two weeks off and a big sale on Amazon Video, I picked up all three LOTR movies .... in the extended editions. That's like 12 hours of LOTR! :eek:

Watched the first installment tonight. Brings back some memories---I watched the theatrical in the theater on its first run. With Chewbacca.

No, seriously! Peter Mayhew's a friend of the family, and we were all up in Granbury at my older sister's house (it was the first Christmas after my father passed away, and she decided we needed a big family reunion to get through it) and when it opened he and his wife came by and we all went out to see it together. It's like my coolest "brush with fame" story! :cool:

The extended version's great. You get so sucked in you can't even really tell they added a whole hour to it.

~Boar

T

The jury is still out on this movie, for me. I understand where you're coming from with regards to the wow factor. I think it may be due to the loss of nostalgia, if that makes sense. The last two were closer to the original trilogy's storyline, whereas TLJ was a continuation of the new trilogy.
To me the movie is definitely missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it though. The last quarter of the movie made up for the first three though.

My wife and I did a double feature yesterday. We watched downsizing and The Last Jedi.

Downsizing was a good movie. Completely random and one of the more original movies I've seen in a while. The concept in and of itself is different, but the dialogue and one character in particular make this movie worth watching again. I left the movie doing a lot of introspection.

The Last Jedi was good, not great. I like how some of the characters are developing. I don't like that there are multiple characters that we have to follow. The only knock that I have for the movie is the comedy. One, or two one liners, or quips are ok, but TLJ had more than I felt comfortable with. I feel that the writers/directors/producers are more focused on appealing to different demographics that keeping true to the original trilogy's style IMO.

My wife and I did a double feature yesterday. We watched downsizing and The Last Jedi.

I feel that the writers/directors/producers are more focused on appealing to different demographics that keeping true to the original trilogy's style IMO.

This is one of my major issues with he movie, way to much "cute"....but I understand, even if I don't like it. They have to monetize the movie, Disney is a licensing machine, and they need those stupid owl/penguin things (Porgs) to sell to kids....

T

So still feeling crappy, but started a new binge....

Marvel's Jessica Jones. Not the best, but it is making the day less miserable.