• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Odd flavor on cigar

jbfurdog

Good morning all,

I have two humidors one is a standard end table type and the other is a wineador with temperature around 66 and RH is between 65-68. The last couple of times I have pulled a cigar out of my wineador, they have had a strange taste to them. I'll try my best to describe this. When I cut my stogie I usually moisten the cap a bit in my mouth before making the cut; that is where I notice the "Twang" it is a bitter/sour twang. I can't really describe it. It's sort of like if you put a bit of baking soda on your tongue. Do you all have any thoughts on this?

How do the cigars smoke?

Doc
Pretty good. I don’t notice it in the actual smoke, just on the wrapper. I will pay closer attention to that next time.

If it helps, the cigars were in cellophane.

Were they CC Montes? They all taste like that to me. Lol

I'd buy a boveda packet or use the salt test and calibrate your hygro.

Are you also using beads or some other form of humidification?

I'd buy a boveda packet or use the salt test and calibrate your hygro.

Are you also using beads or some other form of humidification?
Using beads 65% 68RH is the highest I’ve ever witnessed.

ETA: stuck my hygros in a bag with a 69RH boveda just in case.

Last edited:
Well, the hygros are dead on 69RH with the 69 boveda. I pulled out an Oliva last night. No weird flavor on the wrapper.

Would ammonia from the cigar fermenting more cause that “Twang”? I certainly could not smell any ammonia.

I’m happy to know it’s not all of the cigars.

Well, the hygros are dead on 69RH with the 69 boveda. I pulled out an Oliva last night. No weird flavor on the wrapper.

Would ammonia from the cigar fermenting more cause that “Twang”? I certainly could not smell any ammonia.

I’m happy to know it’s not all of the cigars.

Good to know that your hydro is working correctly. Outside too much humidification, I'm at a loss for what it could be. Not sure fermentation would cause that off taste, but you never know. If none of the other cigars had the issue, chalk it up and move on Sorry I'm not more help.

Good to know that your hydro is working correctly. Outside too much humidification, I'm at a loss for what it could be. Not sure fermentation would cause that off taste, but you never know. If none of the other cigars had the issue, chalk it up and move on Sorry I'm not more help.
I appreciate your response. I smoked a few more over the weekend and had no problems. Probably just a fluke.

The cigars I smoked that had the weirdness are some that I had purchased when I first started smoking (minus the one from El Cigar Shop” I thought they were good then but maybe they always had the “twang”, my tastes have changed without a doubt since joining this group.