• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Beer stash...like really old

modo22

So one of my bosses took me to one of his many storage buildings to find some random bar furniture. BUT in doing so, he showed me this stash of old as* beers that he had. He has about 4 boxes full of UNopened old beer. There is a wide range, but from my very quick research, most of them are from the 60s. Some of the brands I did not recognize, but there were some Heineken, Hamms, Highlife and scores more. All were unopened, and in my opinion, most in good shape on the outside.

Anyone have a clue if anything can be done with these as far as selling them? If not, I will jump in on the next Beer PIF :D:D

At that low ABV% on the beers you mentioned Ben, I'd say they are not drinkable at all. The bottles might look cool though.

Might want to check Ebay. They can be sold as collectibles, probably. But like John said, all probably undrinkable.

Plus with them being in storage, the temperature variances would be a killer, especially for those light beers. Talk him into popping one open.

At that low ABV% on the beers you mentioned Ben, I'd say they are not drinkable at all. The bottles might look cool though.
Do you know what ABV starts putting you in a safer aging range? And, for how long? My google fu isn't great, but I've never been able to find any articles that satisfy me.

Do you know what ABV starts putting you in a safer aging range? And, for how long? My google fu isn't great, but I've never been able to find any articles that satisfy me.
It really varies beer to beer style as well as the ABV%.
Generally though, I've never had luck with Stouts and Baltic Porters below 6.5% even if kept in the fridge the entire time.

Then there are styles...... Lagers other than black lagers don't hold up well. Most IPA's need to be drunk fresh as possible, etc. There are exceptions, but what I like the next guy might not. I had a Troeg's Nugget Nectar from 2009 recently. Didn't taste anything like it does fresh, but I still enjoyed it.

It really varies beer to beer style as well as the ABV%....
Thanks, John. All I have are Belgian Ales. Dubbels and Tripels, and maybe a quad here and there. I'll look up the ABVs.

I think dubbels, tripels, and quads are all styles that would handle aging well, especially the quads.

To the original question, my guess is selling the stuff on ebay as breweriana collectibles would be his best bet. Nobody will want the beer itself, but perhaps there's some collector out there looking for some of that stuff.

There are legions of guys who collect old beer cans and so I assume bottles as well. I'm sure you can find a site to value and sell.

I have a few BCS from 2009. I'm sure they're still good. I aged some 9% DIPAs for up to about 5 years in my beer mini fridge set as warm as it will go. The last one was still good though beyond what I would call peak. At about 2 to 3 years they had developed this really creamy profile and the hop bite had subsided quite a bit.

I have a few BCS from 2009. I'm sure they're still good. I aged some 9% DIPAs for up to about 5 years in my beer mini fridge set as warm as it will go. The last one was still good though beyond what I would call peak. At about 2 to 3 years they had developed this really creamy profile and the hop bite had subsided quite a bit.

Good luck on the BCBS, those stouts are incredible with age. With age, a lot of the adjuncts added (chocolate/peppers/coffee/etc) tend to begin to mute after a few years. Interesting on the DIPAs.

Larry I totally agree, IPA diehards hate when the hops disappear but I love it when the malts start to come out and hops mellow. And you must have amazing will power to still have some BCBS from 2009.

Thanks for all the info guys. And I agree, the beer is not drinkable. In fact, I did find one that was pretty chunky inside. I will have to go back and actually inventory what is all there to see if it is worth it. I figured there are collectors online I could find, just haven't dove into it yet and was curious if any of you guys knew of any off the top of your head.

Thanks again for the info, I will try and update if anything cool comes from this.

Good luck on the BCBS, those stouts are incredible with age. With age, a lot of the adjuncts added (chocolate/peppers/coffee/etc) tend to begin to mute after a few years. Interesting on the DIPAs.
You've had some old beers before?? :cool:

You've had some old beers before?? :cool:

I've had some nice people, through the years, send me old beers that were too strong for them. So me being the manly man that I am, had to take one for the team and drink those old/aged/nasty BCBS stouts. Man, it was rough!