• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Pulteney 12 yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Old Pulteney 12 yo Highland Scotch, 750 ml, 86 proof, oval tube packaging with a quote from Robert Louis Stevenson on the front, unique bottle shape with a distinctive screen printing of a traditional Wick herring drifter, about $30. Also available in 17 and 21 yo versions.

Old%20Puteney%2012.JPG

The tube is printed inside and out, something I've not seen before.

I went out shopping with the wife today and of course it was raining. After 4 hours it was time to get home and waste the rest of the day watching a movie on the big screen. After a dinner of some feta cheese & herb chicken and a dessert of home made apple pie a nice splash of scotch was called for.

As an International Spirits Competition Silver medal winner and a San Francisco World Spirits Competition double gold winner Old Pulteney is in some very fine company. Jim Murray said of it, ”Unashamedly excellent and deserves much more recognition around the world."

As the most northern distillery on the Scottish mainland one would think Old Pulteney would have more in common with some of the Island malts but it reminds me more of a Speyside dram with its smooth sweetness. This may be due to the fact that Old Pulteney's wash still has no swan neck, the only stills like that used in Scotland.

For me, the color is a nice deep amber with just a touch of pink in the bottle but not so much in the glass. The nose is floral covering a solid oak bottom with some nuts scattered about. Tasting is hard and dry and then erupts with honey and orange with a tinge of saltiness. Finishing in a medium long time with some drying the honey lasts until the very end.

I have to agree with Mr. Murray; this should be better known. Easily the equal to Balvenie at the same price point it is a fine alternative to a Speyside malt. Give it a try next time you're looking for a relatively inexpensive bottle. :thumbs:

Great review! Thanks, I'm glad you taste the saltiness as well. Thought I was tasting things. This is one of my favorite single malts.

Just tried some Lagavulin 16yr, quite good too. Worth putting on your list as well. I think you'll enjoy it as well.

You are welcome to do a review of the Lagavulin, no need to wait for me to get around to it. There are a number if scotches and age variations that I don't have and I can't review them all.

Just tried some Lagavulin 16yr, quite good too. Worth putting on your list as well. I think you'll enjoy it as well.

Old Pulteney is from my bosses home town of Wick, Scotland. As a reward for closig a couple of deals this last month he is shipping over the 16 year old and the 21 year old. It's gonna be great!

-Fetter

Take some pics, I've never seen the 21.

Picked up a bottle of this for the holiday weekend on a whim---my local megachain has a superb Scotch selection and I've been branching out. At the price ($33 here) I figured I couldn't go very wrong.

Very enjoyable dram! The sherry notes are rounder and fruitier than a lot of caskings, with a nice base of oak and smoke, Very bright, vibrant flavors and superbly drinkable. Nice! :thumbs:

~Boar