• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva serie v melanio robusto

20170329_185150.jpg Discovered a new lounge yesterday and explored their extensive collection of smokes. Settled on the Oliva Serie V Melanio robusto, a 2014 cigar of the year. Now, I'm fairly new to cigars and this was suppose to be a full bodied cigar. I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed as I couldn't discern any flavors like I could with the few cigars I've smoked in the past. The burn was even, the draw was smooth and it was a pleasant smoke just not as flavorful as the Avos I've had in the past recently. I'm willing to try it again as so many people seem to like this one.

CAS

This is one of my favorites. Hope you have a more exciting experience with it in the future!
Me, too. I was excited to try it. I've been able to discern various flavors before but this one was flat, unfortunately. Is there such thing as a skunked cigar, so to speak?

Last edited:
I'm gonna let Scap answer the moist bit since he started that but "soft" generally refers to underfilled.

Last edited:
Melanio is a pretty flavorful cigar, on my palate. I'd say another one, from a different source, is worth the effort at some point. Could have been the cigar, your palate that day, what you ate, drank, etc.
Or, it could simply be that your tastebuds didn't pick up on it, which happens to me with some cigars and pipe tobaccos.

Melanio is a pretty flavorful cigar, on my palate. I'd say another one, from a different source, is worth the effort at some point. Could have been the cigar, your palate that day, what you ate, drank, etc.
Or, it could simply be that your tastebuds didn't pick up on it, which happens to me with some cigars and pipe tobaccos.
The voice of wisdom from MadMonk...

I was considering the altered palate...I only had coffee that morning and was sipping bourbon and scotch while smoking it. I'm thinking I'll give it another try for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I've had a few of these chilling in my humidor and your post motivated me to smoke one last night. I'll echo what Scap and Monk said. I'd recommend giving another one a try and letting it rest for a few days.

One thing to note... I smoked the 1st 3rd before I started sipping some scotch and I noticed that the scotch seemed to over power the cigar.... so I stopped with the scotch till I was done.

Maybe try it without bourbon or scotch next time as well?

Thanks again for the motivation! :)

20170330_205726.jpg
B&M sticks are many times too wet.
Maybe pick up another, and let it rest at home in your humidor or dry box it for a couple days.
Good suggestion.
Thanks for posting this! I've had a few of these chilling in my humidor and your post motivated me to smoke one last night. I'll echo what Scap and Monk said. I'd recommend giving another one a try and letting it rest for a few days.

One thing to note... I smoked the 1st 3rd before I started sipping some scotch and I noticed that the scotch seemed to over power the cigar.... so I stopped with the scotch till I was done.

Maybe try it without bourbon or scotch next time as well?

Thanks again for the motivation! :)
Thanks to you for posting this...maybe I'll forego the scotch and bourbon next time. I'll have to pick one up and put it in the humidor for later.

In the meantime, the above are next...

Last edited:
Most cigars are shipped on the wetter side these days. It's always a good practice to put them in your humidor to stabilize for a few weeks to rid them of the excess moisture. If you can't wait to smoke a new stick, dry box it for a few days and that should do the trick.

As for those Oliva Series V Maduros...every time I smoke one I say I have to buy more of them. Great morning cigar with coffee.

If you don't enjoy the Fuente Sungrown Rosado Magnum, you ain't right. Just my .02. :)

You have to like that wrapper to make that statement. I happen to like them, as I do sungrown wrappers in general. But some of my friends don't like that type of fermented wrapper. To each there own...

But you're right, the 44 size is the best of the bunch by far.