• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas Churchill Deluxe

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
This was a nice sized cigar at 7 x 47 with a slightly coarse, light brown wrapper. It was box pressed and firm when squeezed, decent bunching in the foot and a triple cap on top. Cap punched, I found the draw tight, however still able to get some air through. Taste of well aged tobacco came through.

Lit, the first several draws were very mild, possibly due to the tight draw. It did have a good flavor of earth and tastes of roasted almonds…perhaps darker, walnut maybe. There was a burn issue right at the beginning, however corrected at about ¼”. Getting about 1/3” in, the draw opened up to almost perfect and the smoke became a good medium. Delicious rich caramel came through in the strengthening smoke. Some hints of spice. There’s a sweet grassiness as well as dark worn leather. The roasted walnuts are there, and I think a touch of vanilla bean. Closer to the end the flavors turned a bit darker, and I got a really dark, rich coffee bean flavor. Quite sweet.

This cigar started out slow, mainly due to having a tight draw at the beginning, but turned out to be a fantastic smoke. There were small burn issues throughout, but it corrected itself without touch ups (had a dark gray ash). Very much enjoyed it!

08-12-08PartagasChurchillDeluxe001.jpg

08-12-08PartagasChurchillDeluxe002.jpg

08-12-08PartagasChurchillDeluxe003.jpg

08-12-08PartagasChurchillDeluxe004.jpg

08-12-08PartagasChurchillDeluxe005.jpg

So who can tell me what the heck this thing is?? :D

08-12-08Imported150.jpg

Awsome review and pictures as always, I was curious to read this review especially. There is battle of legendary status over on CF about a box of this particular marca, and vitola. There have been accusations of authenticity, but certainly draw issues have been the sticking point. This is believed to be realted to the Cuban dark period of quality and construction at the end of the century. I am terrible at linking stuff sorry, the point I am trying to make is it sounds like this cigar was plagued by draw issues in 99.

Btw I have also been meaning to ask what type of punch cutter do you use? I have been considering using one on certain vitolas.

Had one of these a month ago, same year. I had the same experience....wish I had more than 5

Nice review, Greg! :thumbs:

It's a Katydid nymph. Most likely a Scudder's Bush Katydid Nymph. It's Scudderia anyway, it's hard to get much more in depth identification.

Did I win?

Awsome review and pictures as always, I was curious to read this review especially. There is battle of legendary status over on CF about a box of this particular marca, and vitola. There have been accusations of authenticity, but certainly draw issues have been the sticking point. This is believed to be realted to the Cuban dark period of quality and construction at the end of the century. I am terrible at linking stuff sorry, the point I am trying to make is it sounds like this cigar was plagued by draw issues in 99.

Btw I have also been meaning to ask what type of punch cutter do you use? I have been considering using one on certain vitolas.

Hey Adrian - Yep, I read the whole thing over on CF. The beginning of this one I smoked today was nowhere near the typical Partagas profile (no strength and no spice from the get go). It was very mild and lacking in the flavors initially, however I chalked it up to of course the year and the draw as well. Luckily the draw did open and once it did, it didn't take very long to start getting that Partagas profile/flavor and ended up being an awesome smoke. But, if this thing continued the way it initially started, I probably would've chucked it and again, chalked it up to the stated reasons.

The punch I use is the Swiss Army Punch Knife. I need to sharpen the blades on mine as they're getting dull.

It's a Katydid nymph. Most likely a Scudder's Bush Katydid Nymph. It's Scudderia anyway, it's hard to get much more in depth identification.

Did I win?

Lol....yep....sending you a full jar of Scudder's Bush Katydid Nymphs (along with 100 cicadas)! :laugh:

Hey Adrian - Yep, I read the whole thing over on CF. The beginning of this one I smoked today was nowhere near the typical Partagas profile (no strength and no spice from the get go). It was very mild and lacking in the flavors initially, however I chalked it up to of course the year and the draw as well. Luckily the draw did open and once it did, it didn't take very long to start getting that Partagas profile/flavor and ended up being an awesome smoke. But, if this thing continued the way it initially started, I probably would've chucked it and again, chalked it up to the stated reasons.

The punch I use is the Swiss Army Punch Knife. I need to sharpen the blades on mine as they're getting dull.

Did I win?

Lol....yep....sending you a full jar of Scudder's Bush Katydid Nymphs (along with 100 cicadas)! :laugh:
I'm not sure how they'll winter up here. :laugh: