• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Paul Garmirian Soiree Connoisseur

classyndry

on injured reserve
The PG B&M is quite close to my work. I picked up 5 of these cigars about 6 months ago. I was sick for about a week, and once I finally started feeling better I decided to celebrate by lighting up a PG Soiree and opening a bottle of Rioja. The specifics:

DR filler and binder
Colorado/Nicaraguan wrapper
6x52
About $11
Location and drink: Hot tub (50 degrees outside) and bottle of Spanish red

I clipped the tip and took a cold taste. No flavors really jumped out at me. A bit of wood was about it. I lit it up, and then got in the hot tub. About a half inch into the cigar, I started to taste some pepper, with a smooth and creamy woody-earthy flavor. It seemed like the pepper was the base taste, with the woody-earthy flavor a more subtle layer, if that makes sense. The cigar was pretty mellow/subtle in flavor profile, which I imagine is the reason it is not often receive positive reviews. About halfway into the cigar, I realized how perfect the burn was. Razor sharp all the way around, and any imperfections were quickly corrected (if this cigar is smoked indoors I imagine the burn would be absolutely perfect). I thought the draw was great. Loads of smoke without a lot of effort. I could see how some might say the draw was too loose, but since the stick didn't burn hot, I can't fault it. The aroma of the smoke was quite pleasant. I was really enjoying the cigar as I got it down to the band. At that point, I realized I'd drank a little over half the bottle of wine, and was starting to feel the strength of the cigar. I decided to get out of the hot tub and start drinking some water.

Conclusion: While I did enjoy this cigar, I doubt I'll be buying more of these. There are times that I want a cigar with a more subtle taste profile. However, when I want a mellow cigar, I don't want a full bodied cigar. The PG Gourmet Series has a flavor profile quite similar the Soiree without being full bodied. The PG Gourmet Series is much more balanced in my opinion. The PG GS belicoso are great, and I would recommend them. If any more seasoned cigar smokers have tried the PG soiree, I'd be interested to hear what you think. Perhaps someone more experienced might not mind the strength, but in my case, the lack of balance detracts from the overall smoking experience.

Thanks for the great review, I've been interested in trying these. I find the P.G. 15th Anni. and Reserva Exclusiva to be great cigars that you don't hear about much and have distinct/different flavors from most of the other cigars out there I've tried....that's a good thing to me, and part of the fun of trying new stuff.

-Rick

Thanks for the great review, I've been interested in trying these. I find the P.G. 15th Anni. and Reserva Exclusiva to be great cigars that you don't hear about much and have distinct/different flavors from most of the other cigars out there I've tried....that's a good thing to me, and part of the fun of trying new stuff.

-Rick

I had some reserva exclusiva from 1995 that was unlike anything I'd ever smoked before. I know there is a online cigar shop that sells the whole Garmirian line. If you're interested in singles and can't find any online, I'd be willing to run over to the B&M and then do a trade with you.

Ah....now that you've mentioned it, I might have to pull one of my Reserva Exclusiva's out and torch it. Mine only have a year on them though.

Thanks for the gracious offer, I'm in Chicago, so I pick mine up at Jack Schwartz downtown when I can make it down there. Great group of BOTLs there.

Ah....now that you've mentioned it, I might have to pull one of my Reserva Exclusiva's out and torch it. Mine only have a year on them though.

Thanks for the gracious offer, I'm in Chicago, so I pick mine up at Jack Schwartz downtown when I can make it down there. Great group of BOTLs there.

Thats the online retailer I was thinking of. I'll have to stop by if I'm ever up Chi-town way.