• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Price Check

Are those Trinidads, the Reyes or Robustos? Either way, I really enjoy the Trinidads, the Reyes are great morning coffee cigars.

What's the box code on those Cohibas?

If they really are from 92 they are worth way more than $40 each.

I should've taken a picture. I'll get one on Monday. But I'll probably know if they are fakes by later tonight when I smoke it. :( Your comment makes me a bit less hopeful. :(

Trinidads are the Reyes. And thats exactly what I was thinking.
Are those Trinidads, the Reyes or Robustos? Either way, I really enjoy the Trinidads, the Reyes are great morning coffee cigars.

I should've taken a picture. I'll get one on Monday. But I'll probably know if they are fakes by later tonight when I smoke it. :( Your comment makes me a bit less hopeful. :(

I've seen old stock in stores in Europe that had the old price in them or that were selling for the same current stock prices. Hard to describe what you should expect with a Cohiba that age and they can be hit or miss within a box so never know even with one if you've never smoked them from that age. I smoked the last of mine from the early 90's a few years ago so I can't help on what to expect profile wise other then they were a truly elegant and refined cigar after all that time.

Hope they are in fact real as if would be an amazing find and worth picking up the rest of the box of they are real. Though the band is from 1993-2003 so if box code is 92 might be a problem.

I've seen old stock in stores in Europe that had the old price in them or that were selling for the same current stock prices. Hard to describe what you should expect with a Cohiba that age and they can be hit or miss within a box so never know even with one if you've never smoked them from that age. I smoked the last of mine from the early 90's a few years ago so I can't help on what to expect profile wise other then they were a truly elegant and refined cigar after all that time.

Hope they are in fact real as if would be an amazing find and worth picking up the rest of the box of they are real. Though the band is from 1993-2003 so if box code is 92 might be a problem.

Could it be they just put some singles in an old box? Or maybe the box code was read incorrectly. After all 92 and 93 aren't that far apart.

Could it be they just put some singles in an old box? Or maybe the box code was read incorrectly. After all 92 and 93 aren't that far apart.

I'll have to check it again on Monday. This brain of mine isn't exactly what my wife would call a "steel trap", especially when it comes to years. I think she'd call it a steel sieve actually.

I'll have to check it again on Monday. This brain of mine isn't exactly what my wife would call a "steel trap", especially when it comes to years. I think she'd call it a steel sieve actually.

Not trying to discount your efforts, it is a good find either way. Good luck finding some more gems and try and negotiate the price down lol.

It is also possible that they released some boxes in 92 with that band. Unfortunately you will never truly know what that vendor has and if they are real. Smoke them and enjoy them is all you can do.

Not trying to discount your efforts, it is a good find either way. Good luck finding some more gems and try and negotiate the price down lol.

Everyone's advice here is like solid gold. No need for disclaimers brother! I'll light it up and see if it holds its weight and give it another look Monday. Either way it was worth a purchase, even if it ends up being more of a learning endeavor than an enjoyable smoke. :)

Edited to add: The good ones are only good when compared to all the rest. That's what makes this hobby so fun and rewarding!

Hate to say it but that Cohiba did not pass the taste test. Actually lit up one of my own cc's just to be sure my palate wasn't out of whack, and unfortunately I'm 95% confident that it's a fake. Not even a good fake. I'm not sure there is any Cuban tobacco in that stick at all.

The Trinidad however was marvelous with my morning coffee

Hate to say it but that Cohiba did not pass the taste test. Actually lit up one of my own cc's just to be sure my palate wasn't out of whack, and unfortunately I'm 95% confident that it's a fake. Not even a good fake. I'm not sure there is any Cuban tobacco in that stick at all.

What a bummer!

Too bad.

What makes you think it isn't real? The type of tobacco used 24 years ago is very different from current production, not to mention what that many years does to a cigar.

I've smoked a lot of vintage stuff. Some has been amazing, some I would swear was fake if I didn't know provenance and everything in between. Without years of experience smoking them from that time period I wouldn't discount them so quickly.

Last edited:
What makes you think it isn't real? The type of tobacco used 24 years ago is very different from current production, not to mention what that many years does to a cigar.

I've smoked a lot of vintage stuff. Some has been amazing, some I would swear was fake if I didn't know providence and everything in between. Without years of experience smoking them from that time period I wouldn't discount them so quickly.
True, cohibas 24 years ago used corojo if I'm not mistaken.

I've smoked a lot of vintage stuff. Some has been amazing, some I would swear was fake if I didn't know provenance and everything in between. Without years of experience smoking them from that time period I wouldn't discount them so quickly.

I suppose you're right.

Nothing about it tasted remotely Cuban. More like a poorly blended and dried out Dominican cigar. Honestly my palate my not be refined but holy garbage I'd rather smoke a swisher sweet than one of those dog rockets again. Certainly not the complex and refined smoke you described. :(

That makes me think it probably wasn't real. For posterity sake, I'll check the box again Monday to see if the box code was really 1992. If so I'd say that's enough evidence to discount. Then again, you raise some interesting points. :) There may be no way to know for certain. All I know is I certainly don't want to pay $40 for another single to send it to you for a test. ;)

I suppose you're right.

Nothing about it tasted remotely Cuban. More like a poorly blended and dried out Dominican cigar. Honestly my palate my not be refined but holy garbage I'd rather smoke a swisher sweet than one of those dog rockets again. Certainly not the complex and refined smoke you described. :(

That makes me think it probably wasn't real. For posterity sake, I'll check the box again Monday to see if the box code was really 1992. If so I'd say that's enough evidence to discount. Then again, you raise some interesting points. :) There may be no way to know for certain. All I know is I certainly don't want to pay $40 for another single to send it to you for a test. ;)

It's easy, if you don't like them don't buy them it's as much about that as anything

Reading this, I don't know whether to guess real or fake, but to me it doesn't matter. It sounds like just the experiment involved in it was worth the money. Think about how much you have learned throughout this little process and how much some of us have, having read through it.

Money well spent no matter what in my opinion. But who knows, maybe real anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Besides, when's the next time you will be in Argentina cigar shopping?

BTW - sorry they lost last night. It must be a day of mourning today.

image.jpg

The streets of Argentina are downtrodden today. Last night Kara and I heard literal screams as the Copa concluded. :( poor Messi. And I ALMOST bought a Messi jersey before returning to the hotel... C will say it's because I wanted them to win. ;)

Wyatt and Michael are right. Great experience. Worth the money.