• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Proud day, Sad day

jbfurdog

Today is a first for me and I'm having a hard time. I've sent my son off on a lot of firsts in his life, first day of school, first time riding a bike on his own, even first time driving, his first date first beer and first cigar. But this time its different, much different. Today my son is leaving for his first deployment.

I knew that this day would come, its inevitable when you join the military. I thought I'd be prepared. I don't think you can ever be prepared for this. I know he has been well trained and prepared for a lot of things. I imagine that it will be best to try and get back to normalcy. Keep doing the things I do everyday and try to remember that no news is good news. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers, send him good vibes and good Juju or whatever you believe will help him. I know he and I will appreciate it.

Here is to him being well trained and protected while away. For his family it becomes the count down till he gets back, stay strong and make sure the care packages are sent on a timely basis they mean a lot!

He, as do all serving in the military, have my deepest appreciation. Best thoughts and prayer his way......

Proud moment to be sure. Wishing him the best. Thanks for your support in his service.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be, but I wish the best for you and your son :)

Not sure I'd be able to handle the anxiety, from his or your perspective. Proud dad moment for sure and I wish him the best. Here's to many more returns and stories, years down the road, between you two!

Send packages on a regular basis, other than that, it's all good training.

Doc

Write letters, often, with packages from home with some stuff to make him smile. Mine's been in for almost eight years, and is leaning towards completing a military career and retiring from the Corps when he gets to the finish line.

My oldest, Sgt in the USMC, is still stationed stateside so I've been fortunate there. Best thoughts your way and solid respect for the responsibility your son has stepped up for.

Proud moment to be sure. Wishing him the best. Thanks for your support in his service.

You all are the best. Thank you for all these Kind words. He's headed to Afghanistan.

I'm going to print these posts out and send them in his first care package is you all don't mind.

As said, lots of hand-written letters and care packages. Nothing compares to being able to open an envelope or a box as opposed to clicking on an email. If you can, let us all know his APO address so we can bomb the hell out of him... in the good way!

If anyone is seriously interested in sending anything his way. I finally have his address. PM/DM me and I’ll give it to you. Thanks all. This is a special place without a doubt.

It has been my experience the deployments are hardest on those left stateside.
after 2 trips to Iraq, 2 trips to A'stan, and a few trips to other places, It seems I was focused on the mission and my fellow troops, while my family was focused on me.

There are so many ways to stay in touch, Email, snail mail, Skype.....
there will be small things he misses, try to get those to him.
Support. praise and understanding - try not to make him feel like he has to worry about you.

I have such deep respect for those who choose to serve, in any capacity, not just the Military. Any one who chooses a job where they have to make a choice to place someone else above and before them is a Hero in my book.

Thoughts and prayers

John 15:13New King James Version (NKJV)
Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

Tim