• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Punch Super Robusto RE 2007 (Asia Pacific)

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Right cool out this morning, temperature gauge reading right at 65F. Sky is clear with a rather brisk breeze blowing, already yellowing leaves are floating lazily around. I can tell Fall is just around the corner (Sept 22), love this time of year. Got my coffee on the burner, cigar and lighter in hand, and laptop ready. Mandy heads out to the giant Loblolly pine where the morning sun’s rays are already warming up her spot. I take a deep breath in, a slow exhale out, thoroughly relaxed and ready to put fire to this cigar.

I didn’t have such a great experience with a Punch Serie D’Oro No. 1 a couple days ago, so decided to try again with the Super Robusto. Construction is excellent having a smooth medium to light brown wrapper with very small veins running the length, noticeable oil, and a well constructed triple cap. Holding the cigar close to my ear and squeezing, I hear a nice crunchiness which tells me the tobacco is perfectly ready for the fire. I put a perfect hole in the cap and find the draw to have a little too much resistance, yet the air that does flow through has a taste of musty tobacco, much like the Serie D’oro No. 1. Hmmm….

Using my Zippo with z-plus insert, I torch the foot slowly getting the embers burning well, then take a couple puffs to get the smoke coming through enough for a long draw. I get a mild to medium smoke in the first couple draws taken, flavors are rather rich with tastes of sweet honey, roasted nuts, cinnamon, and a light woodiness. Unfortunately, the draw tightens up to the point where I can barely get any smoke flowing through. Now that the cigar has warmed up some, I can feel a couple of really hard knots in the middle and beneath the top band. I squeeze the cigar at the hard spots, turning it as I do, trying to loosen up the tobacco and draw. It actually helps slightly as I can get good smoke through with taking a slow, long draw.

The burn is sharp with a medium to light gray ash forming that reveals compact rings from each draw taken. Although the resistance is still more than I like, I’m able to get a good amount of smoke through that to my palate seems to be close to medium in strength. There’s a mild spice continuing to hit the back of the throat with flavors quite rich and complex, delicious to say the least. There’s smoothness in the smoke, buttery would be a good word to describe it, with the finish lasting.

Around the halfway mark, the draw opens up allowing a perfect amount of smoke to flow through. The ash went from having perfect rings to looking very rough, like the tobacco was bunched up in this particular spot. I’m thoroughly enjoying this cigar now with deliciously rich, complex flavors coming through in the medium, creamy smoke. I would say wood and a black licorice are the prominent flavors with a fantastic finish, long on the palate.

It seems the strength picked up a bit towards the end, becoming more of a full. Flavors continued to be rich with the finish lasting, the burn getting a little off but correcting itself without need of any touching up. This was a fantastic smoke with good burn, rich flavors, and lasting finish. The only issue was of course the tight draw, however this didn't create any major problem as I was able to get enough smoke through to really enjoy it. Excellent cigar!

09-07-09PunchSprRob001.jpg

09-07-09PunchSprRob002.jpg

09-07-09PunchSprRob003.jpg

Nice review Greg. I was gifted one of these a while back, and I have been letting it get happy waiting for proper aging. In your opinion are these ready to smoke or do you think more time would make it even better?