• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Queso dip

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Simple, easy to modify but best of all repeatable.

2lb block of Velveeta
1.5oz Habanera peppers
3oz Jalapeno peppers
1/3rd cup milk
28oz can petite diced tomatoes (drained)
Big saucepan or microwave safe bowl.
Food processor

Either in the saucepan on the stove or a microwave safe bowl slowly melt the Velveeta. You don't want any skin to form so you'll have to stir once in a while.
Concurrently, cut the stems off all the peppers and then cut into quarters.
Take the peppers (seeds and all) and milk and put them into the food processor chopping until almost a puree.

Once the cheese is melted mix in the tomatoes and pepper mixture.
Stir until well blended.
Refrigerate until needed. Can be served hot or cold.

The milk should cause the dip to never really set and that will make it easier to dip into. The amount of peppers will make it hot enough for those that that like that and memorable for those that don't. After you have made one you'll know what adjustments you'll want to do pepper wise for the next. Make adjustments by weight and not by number of peppers and you'll better be able to keep it consistent.

Maybe not Crack in a Bowl but opioid none the less.

One word: crockpot. :p

I brown and crumble hot Italian sausage to add to mine, and use Ro-Tel instead of separate chilis and diced tomatoes, but other than that the only real difference is I use a crockpot instead of a microwave. Once everything melts and the flavors blend, turn it down to low and eat hot queso all day! :D

~Boar

One word: crockpot. :p

I brown and crumble hot Italian sausage to add to mine, and use Ro-Tel instead of separate chilis and diced tomatoes, but other than that the only real difference is I use a crockpot instead of a microwave. Once everything melts and the flavors blend, turn it down to low and eat hot queso all day! :D

~Boar
Ro-Tel is easy but nowhere near the heat index of the above but you could add the peppers in if you wanted.

The only problem with these Queso Dips is that I have a hard time not overeating. Maybe the Heat in Ray's recipe will slow me down.

2lb block of Velveeta
Did you use the Standard Yellow or the White (I think name includes "Queso") I do think they taste different.

The only problem with these Queso Dips is that I have a hard time not overeating. Maybe the Heat in Ray's recipe will slow me down.

Did you use the Standard Yellow or the White (I think name includes "Queso") I do think they taste different.
I usually use yellow because it goes on sale far more often then the white in my area.

Ro-Tel is easy but nowhere near the heat index of the above but you could add the peppers in if you wanted.

Well, there IS a habanero Ro-Tel, actually. I don't know if they sell such things past the Mason-Dumbass Line or not. ;)

There's an Extra Hot and a Chipotle, too. I actually like the Chipotle the best---smoky!---but you're right, fresh peppers are much hotter than cooked and canned. That's why I like my jalapenos pickled. Takes the edge off. :eek:

~Boar

Well, there IS a habanero Ro-Tel, actually. I don't know if they sell such things past the Mason-Dumbass Line or not. ;)

There's an Extra Hot and a Chipotle, too. I actually like the Chipotle the best---smoky!---but you're right, fresh peppers are much hotter than cooked and canned. That's why I like my jalapenos pickled. Takes the edge off. :eek:

~Boar
Never seen the Hababero or the Extra Hot Ro-Tel and I go south of the Mason Dixon line quite often (MD & VA)

Mason-Dumbass Line
Has the actual "line" ever been verified. For some reason, my gray matter remembers it as an unknown. That said, long time since I had to study history.

I have better luck with the Ro-Tel varieties at the smaller neighborhood grocers. Often find items at those that I can't find at the major grocers.

Never seen the Hababero or the Extra Hot Ro-Tel and I go south of the Mason Dixon line quite often (MD & VA)

Might be a "just those lunatics in Texas" thing for all I know. But . . . PM me your addy. :D

Has the actual "line" ever been verified. For some reason, my gray matter remembers it as an unknown. That said, long time since I had to study history.

"Mason Dumbass line" is from "Ruby & Carlos," a song by James McMurtry. I never pass up a chance to use it. ;)

~Boar

I have better luck with the Ro-Tel varieties at the smaller neighborhood grocers. Often find items at those that I can't find at the major grocers.

Oh yes it has. If I stand on my roof I can see it.