• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Questions from a B&M

Smokin'Sims

Gettin' my nerd on, Hopp Schwiez!
I visited a local B&M yesterday and question the suggestion of the salesperson. She suggested that ideally, I have a separate pipe for each tobacco I smoke. I can somewhat see the logic behind this, if as she suggested, the pipe retains the flavors of the tobacco. Do you follow this principle, or simply separate the aromatics from non-aromatics?

For Briars, I do allocate a pipe to a particular type of tobacco. I have certain pipes for English blends, and certain pipes for VAs and VaPers. I smoke VAs and VaPers 99% of the time.

I've also found that sometimes a tobacco will actually come alive in a certain pipe for some cosmic reason.
I.e., I now know that if I try a new tobacco, and it isn't impressive, I'll try a different pipe.

Meerschaums are a lot more neutral and interfere significantly less with the tobacco's flavor. If I was starting over, I'd have a lot more Meerschaums. Briar just seduces us with it beauty.

I agree with the seduciton. I got a Tsuge sitter for my birthday and some Frog Morton on the Bayou. What else could I smoke in it? I'm thinking of making the churchwarden the one for aromatic things.

I don't smoke Aromatics, so no real insight other than they can ghost a pipe. (Burley works good to help bust a ghost). I don't have any Tsuge. If a wide chamber, I'd be tempted to try English and Balkans. G. L. Pease "Westminster" is my favorite all around English.
I tend to like smaller bowls for VAs and Vapers, say 3/4" dia or less. I also prefer a conical chamber for Vas and VaPers. Favorites are all under the Sam Gawith brand. Full VA Flake, St. James Flake, Brown Flake are pretty much my go tos.