• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ramon Allones Belicosos Orchant Selection

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It is one beautiful morning with deep blue sky, soft breeze, and birds singing all around. The air is nice and cool at 78F; however the humidity is crazy high at 85%, fogging up my glasses as soon as I step out the back door. After rummaging through the humis for a bit, I decided to put fire to a Ramon Allones Belicoso received in a trade not long ago (thank you sir). This is one gorgeous cigar with medium to dark brown wrapper that has noticeable oil throughout and a couple of prominent veins running the length. It has a good weight in the hand, is firm when squeezed, and after clipping the tapered head I find the draw with a little more resistance than I like. Taste in the cold draw is of a musty, mature tobacco with a slight sweetness.

I light the foot slowly, blowing on the forming embers in intervals, and then take quick puffs to get the fire burning good. After I’m satisfied the cigar is ready, I take a slow, long draw and get a medium pepper spice on the back of the tongue and throat, the smoke itself is a medium strength with a slightly heavy body feeling a bit oily over the palate. I’m greeted with a true Ramon Allones profile of rich coffee and dark, sweet cocoa that is simply delicious. There’s also tastes of earth, leather, and hints of citrus in the finish that is lasting on the palate.

A quarter in and the burn is sharp with a medium gray ash forming in perfect layers, holding strong until tapped off in the ashtray. The draw is a bit on the tight side, however is still working perfectly well with the medium strength smoke that continues to bring a medium spiciness on the tongue. Flavors are amazingly rich and complex on the palate with a lasting finish I just can’t get enough of. I’m already wishing this cigar was a Churchill size as it is definitely going to end too soon.

At the halfway mark, the burn continues to be sharp; the draw opens up to a perfect resistance, and the strength of the smoke picks up to a medium to almost full strength. Spice picks up slightly as well hitting the palate just right. I am completely immersed in the rich flavors coming through in the somewhat oily smoke, exhaling slowly through mouth and nose, relishing the incredible finish left on the palate.

As I knew it would, the cigar reached its end far too quickly, as is the case with most any cigar that smokes this good. The burn remained sharp with a strong ash, medium to almost full strength smoke flowing well through the perfect draw. There was a perfect balance between strength, body, and delicious, complex flavors that made this one excellent cigar. Mr. Orchant can definitely pick ‘em!

With the final exhale of rich smoke, I sit the nub down and simply relax and enjoy the moment. What a beautiful morning!

07-16-10RABeliOrch003.jpg

07-16-10RABeliOrch001.jpg

07-16-10RABeliOrch002.jpg

Great review of a gorgeous looking stick. Thanks Kingantz. I'm not familiar with this RA. Does anyone have any background on it?

Very nice review!

------------------------

There were a few releases of these. 2005, 2005 OS and 2007 re-release(?), a 2008 10cnt RE(France) and now 2010 RE(Germany).

OS are suppose to be a 'hand picked' selection, by the retailer.

Just a few months ago I did a sort of tasting on the first three - I smoked one of each over a long weekend....and the 2005 were the best.
Who knows if there's any real difference...a blind tasting would be best(addy in profile!).

biggrin.gif

Stu gifted me one of these in Cinci and I thought it was a great stick!! Nice review Greg!!

Jim